Ultimate Subaru Message Board

outback 2005 , 3.0 VDC 180kw project

scalman

after some time looking i found it , seems like no rust or very minimum, and seems no rust on important places. 

bought this 

OXMsQ80.jpg

first day at home enjoying , exploring what it is and whats new 

oiuFyuUl.jpg

found some ides for myself to think of . first pic i like wheels and lift on it and tires, and other pics from guy who actually did what i did for my previous 2001 outback, bumper cut , just he did leave anti fog lights too... not sure is that best look for it but sure he can do more with that and go more extreme

xKiztQ7.jpg

found some rust in arches , cleaned it and sprayed bitumen

EhSPSDH.jpg

black front grill and leds in DRL 

gd8FK4g.jpg

it has that weird in rear one side antifog light and just other side reverse light. and bulb is not very common there, not sure how to upgrade my reverse light at dark times its really crap and in rain and dark its not existed at all. 

9EkAKza.jpg

had some LPG leak fron that LPG converter so needed to change it to more modern one and more powerfull. changed old rubber tubes as well for new

8Nf0OfV.jpg

rear lift spacers where same from 2001 because they use all same suspension stuff in rear and  same struts, but front is different, ir larger struts now so needed to make new front spacers and made then with camber caster offset now 

D8wEwd7.jpg

ledJSmr.jpg

finished 2'' lift install in dark so enjoyed it , rear lifted more then front think because i have again self level shock in rear as before. so rear lifted about 1,7cm more then front , but maybe thats even better 

qNfgrN8.jpg

what numbers i have now with pretty low winter tires at 225/50R17

and with lift i put +25mm wheel spacers too from 2001 car so now it looks pretty cool with that. without spacers my rear tire rubs spring when wheel is lifted more

RWgGAqfh.jpg

i think rear bumper this time is not even a problem on that height, and with larger tires it would go even more up 

but for front bumper i need to think something, and plus i will make hi lift jack adapters again on this car too. i allreadu dont have larger enough jack to lift my car as it is now, so that hi lift jack would be so much easier and  faster way to lift car 

2hmLi6s.jpg

one strange thing about front sway bar, i tried to discinnect it first just one side , but then i measured how much i need to lift until one side front wheel lifts up fron ground , and its same number with sway bar connected or disconnected both side, so no difference there on this gen anymore so no point i will use it now. 

and when car on ground its like 46cm from fender to wheel center , and then until wheel lifts from ground i need to lift it until 55cm both with sway bar on or off. so its like 9cm travel down. its not that bad and with sway bar on. so this will do for now. i removed rear sway bar , didint felt any change in cars handling.

so yh anyone have any ideas for me maybe. i need to do something with fron bumper well like cut it i guess. what else could be done. i need still nice looking car nothing extreme there just to make similar effect as i had on my 2001 , where i could just slide on to anything with my front . 

i like that power 180kw its no joke from 115kw and we dont use here kw anyway so its better bumber at about 245hp or something. it goes nice , that 5EAT Sportshift gearbox works well. VDC systems is better on this car and less cutting engine now so after i will put some skid plates , and change front bumper i will test it more sure, maybe on snow allready depends how weather will change.

for now i dont have money to put some new AT tires on it so not sure how it will go now with thos winter tires, bu they almost new so still lots  grip there i think. 

VDC now much better with all that more power to play. cant do nothing more until bumpers so low and no skid plate yet so just some light VDC testing , but its much much better gripping allready, this was before lift even

Edited by scalman

skid plate modifies from 2001 . its sits higher then was original plastic one as its not covering those exhaust tubes there. i think they pretty strong for my driving style and roads i drive that i dont need to cover there everything. 

was measuring skid plate for gearbox , still thinking do i need it anyway, but it wouldnt hurt to put that there i guess. later

a4yIY89.jpg

and those recovery points there , they in such place that to use them you need to not have lower part of bumper or remove bumper all together ... they teasing me to just cut it ... im still thinking about it , but soon i will do it i guess

Z79iXzD.jpg

o4yuo4V.jpg

V1LftXo.jpg

fuel usage for first 33km just in city terrible mileage and after some trip between citys where its very economical engine  with that 5 speed auto. so in average it comes good. and LPG cost half petrol price . and if i would take some grand sherokee same year with 3.0 diesel engine 160kw and all lockers , it would be nice to drive im sure but i would pay for my travels twice as much , and i couldnt afford then drive so much  i think. for now this car is just great on me. im learning it , i like it a lot. and i know it besides new to me 3.0 engine i know rest of car pretty well now . 

Edited by scalman
  • Like 1

more VDC testing on diagonals, its allways moves from any situation maybe not right away but it does move , never stall or anything , and in real life situation i would give it more revs sure not going so slow, this just for test making it as hard as its possible

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so slowly its getting ready for more off road tracks .

first made front recovery points and hilift jack points , and they jusy bolt on. nothing welded to car. veery pleased how it all was done and i think it will be very strong. pull of lift 

rFkzUqa.jpg

pY5x8hw.jpg

It supose to be snow but ohh well me and some local forester club enjoying some mud in forests me on used snow tires it was ok still

sDAeeEB.jpg

QQkaHFb.jpg

DUnyydk.jpg

My car now so big that normal forester compare to me looking small 

Edited by scalman
  • Like 1

new style front cv axles , different cv and inside stuff too, think mine is bad and i will change it as i got vibrations while accelerating in last weeks or so , thats after that subaru club mud trip where i give it more revs and got more water too

DC1RMnV.jpg

before that was enjoying sea views 

P2Gd5ah.jpg

YXelkWv.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

first removed wheel spacers because rear tire doesnt fit into arch with full flex , so i thought maybe i could do without spacers , but no because then rear tire goes into spring when its gets into air , so thats not working, put spacers back again and bended some of rear fender metal side that was kinda sticking there and even cut tire some when it was flexing and going into arch , so hopefully now that will fit without damage to tire or fenders in rear

VByFdFw.jpg

JqWTqrI.jpg

those rear extra reverse led lights works just amazing 

fSYnqkZ.jpg

its not off road rear lights level but its much better now to going in dark in forests between trees and such places, i can see now there when reversing

RaIq2rD.jpg

NssXfgj.jpg

KWPoRT7.jpg

VDC working great with TC off, just goes

DV5Z1n4.gif

tried to fix my LPG injectors. they not so complicated , looked for info and now they work better on LPG car goes better

81FHj7P.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

another good VDC test up hill on mud with winter used tires not aired down on full 2.4bar . when to use TC when not use and when use fixed gears and not D , because D will change gears 

and how i got stuck later in other field and how tried to got out with hi lift but in the end all i needed was small pull with snatch rope. just i used long on with extra straps so in all i got some 20m of rope and small renault scenic car just gave me some pull and i was free

lD71uMc.jpg

TuXf8av.jpg

RveTDrw.jpg

Fjsv3qH.jpg

KI7Lcy1.jpg

Eoy7uLw.jpg

5c8FWnd.jpg

and good wash in the end

skESFZy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

quarantine or not im doing some new stuff and finishing with my rear recovery point and extra hilift jack point just in case. 

v4wNsID.jpg

so its still my daily driver shoping wagon camping wagon , but now its proper ready to be recovered or recover someone else.

FWuY3Rg.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

measured

6mscu3j.jpg

5cm lift but axles looks like they dont have any angle at all still. 

Ihlwwpt.jpg

what could be done in front if remove bumper or  cut it or make something custom.

sx1wFUF.jpg

sK02F5b.jpg

D6xZbIk.jpg

0A7NUND.jpg

some fun in soft sand, if wheels spinning too much instantly it digs down making track harder and harder everytime. in the end i dig so much there that couldnt go up anymore, and when i started there it was easy to go up there

me3WXVA.jpg

2 wheels in air VDC still gave me enough torque so i could drive up

Edited by scalman