Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA to Ej gauge cluster

Hello everyone,

I am getting closer to finishing my EJ swap in my brat, donor is a 1991 legacy. I am still stuck on the wire harness thinning but I figured I might as well ask this since it relates a bit.

Am I going to be able to use the brat gauge cluster or do I have to swap in the legacy cluster? I am not sure if they are the same size or if its an easy fix. What did you all do?

Thanks!!

You will leave the Brat gauge cluster.

You need to fish the 2 pole connector (black) with Yellow/red and black wire in it from under the dash.  Ground the black wire, and run the Yellow/red one to the VSS wire of the EJ ECU harness.  If you want an ECS light (CEL) operational, you will also need to attach a wire the pin in the dash electrical socket for the ECS light.  The bulb should already be there.

• Thanks 1

Yu

11 hours ago, el_freddo said:

@FerGloyale - are you saying the US delivered Brats have a check engine light AND a reed switching speed sensor built into the instrument cluster?? 

If true, you guys are lucky! We didn’t get any of those! 

Cheers 

Bennie

Yup.  That's what I'm saying.

everything after 82 or 83 IIRC.

They had the VSS for use in the optional dealer installed cruise control.  

ECS light was used in California models, 2wd models (with feedback carbs) and also on FI models (turbo)

Unused for most 4wds, but it's still there in the dash.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, FerGloyale said:

You will leave the Brat gauge cluster.

You need to fish the 2 pole connector (black) with Yellow/red and black wire in it from under the dash.  Ground the black wire, and run the Yellow/red one to the VSS wire of the EJ ECU harness.  If you want an ECS light (CEL) operational, you will also need to attach a wire the pin in the dash electrical socket for the ECS light.  The bulb should already be there.

Thanks for the help! I have an 82 brat btw don't know if that changes anything. I don't want to cut it out, do you know what the VSS sensor look like? Thanks again!

Also I am not sure but I think the car may have originated in California based on what the previous over said.

Edited by bratboy1

9 hours ago, bratboy1 said:

Thanks for the help! I have an 82 brat btw don't know if that changes anything. I don't want to cut it out, do you know what the VSS sensor look like? Thanks again!

Also I am not sure but I think the car may have originated in California based on what the previous over said.

Speed sensor is built into the speedo head.  It has 2 wires coming out of it, One yellow/red, the other Black.  2 pole "T" connector (black) should be able to find it hanging under the dash connected to nothing.

If you are using OBD I harness it won't matter, but if OBD II it will cut out at 4k rpms without a speed sensor signal.

• Thanks 1

On 11/22/2019 at 12:16 AM, FerGloyale said:

Speed sensor is built into the speedo head.  It has 2 wires coming out of it, One yellow/red, the other Black.  2 pole "T" connector (black) should be able to find it hanging under the dash connected to nothing.

If you are using OBD I harness it won't matter, but if OBD II it will cut out at 4k rpms without a speed sensor signal.

Ok thanks! And yeah I am running a pre-OBD II EJ so I appreciate it!