Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rebuild 1990 Subaru Loyale EA82 SPFI

Evap/egr system is bad enough to make replacing the efi with the weber look like a good idea, but how's the ea82 to rebuild when its time to do so?

Are any of the newer engines candidates for transplant/drop in instead of rebuilding the ea82?

By the way, thanks for all the help I've gotten so far from your forum.

The EA82 will only give you headaches finding parts unless you’re patient (and possibly lynhave deep pockets). 

As @wagons said, the EJ conversion can be done for about the same amount as a DIY engine rebuild, more if you pay someone to do the work for you. 

Pick a series of engine that you like and get a donor vehicle that has it fitted. The EJ22 is well tried and tested. I’ve had mine for ten years and counting. Done head gaskets once and cambelt twice (it’s due again now). I would like more from it but compared to the EA82 it’s night and day! 

Cheers 

Bennie

Just fix whats wrong.  Unless you are saying something like excessive blow by is fouling the egr.  

At this point, finding a good engine that just needs a reaeal is the easiest way to go.   EJ swap has all those advantages, but it is a lot more work than a drop in.

• Like 1

EGR can be deleted without making engine trouble.  And is super simple and easy system to fix if that's actually an issue.

Evap issues?  like blowby?  or vac leaks?

EGR and EVAP are fairly passive sytems and shouldn't make the car run bad.

The reason I ask, is because if you are thinking it's EGR and EVAP, it may actually be Fuel injection issues. In that case a weber would wake that motor right up.

If it's blow-by/burning oil......it needs rings.  Pretty easy to do while engine is out for headgaskets.  just pull pistons after heads are off and clean out the landings and replace rings.

• Like 2