Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dipstick broken off in tranny

Hey guys. This morning I tried to check my transmission oil and noticed the dipstick is broken off inside the tube somewhere. I tried to pull the tube out of the tranny, but it just tried deforming. Any ideas I should try to get it out, and where to get a new one?

Use a magnetic tool retriever that fits down the tube to lift the remains of the dipstick out. 

If it’s full length that’s broken off you shouldn’t have any issues. If it’s only a part of it, you’ll probably have trouble getting it out. If this is the case it could be worth draining the oil and trying to fish the broken off section out through the drain plug. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• 2 weeks later...

IF you got enough pressure and flow, you could push seals out.  A broken dipstick isn't going to have much to catch the wind, unless you have the round part at the handle jammed down the tube.  If it's just the metal strip, I'm thinking the air would just slip by it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Espey16 said:

I had no luck with the magnet. 

Through the dip stick hole or the drain plug? 

Magent on a rope could work if it’s the right size to fit in the drain hole or the dipstick tube. 

Got a pic of what’s left of the dip stick? 

Cheers 

Bennie

• 2 weeks later...

OK, another crazy idea. I once worked in a place where we had to fish wiring thru some bent tubing in borehole acoustic instruments. We would start by using a vacuum on one end,, then feed string thru from the other end until it exited. Then use the string to reverse feed wiring thru.

If you could get the end of some dry, lightweight string up into the trans thru the drain while a suction is being pulled on the dipstck tube (best with a clear tubing attached so you can spot the string come thru) , hopefully it doesn't get soggy(see below***)  and the airflow will pull it thru, then, after it comes through, you could attach....I dunno....a big knot or ball of cork...something just smaller than the inside diameter of the tube. Maybe then when you pull the string thru, it would pull the metal piece out with the object on the end of the string.

***(if the string is too unlikely to stay dry, first try to feed some tubing just large enough to go thru the drainhole up into the trans, then feed the string thru the tubing...might avoid oil on the bottom of the trans at least....)

or, feed string DOWN first?with vacuum on the drain hole, maybe attach the ball/knot if the string will come out the drain hole, then pull up???

lots of ifs but, ???

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I have a picture of the dipstick, but I cant upload it. I don't know how far down it is, I shoved in my magnet as far as I could without bending it and got nothing. I got it in at least as far as the top of the dipstick to where it's broken off.

A magnet isn't going to have enough contact area with the dip stick.   Also, too thin to get really strong attraction.  And it's in a steel pipe,  which will also tend to stick the dip stick to it, since the dip stick will carry the magnetism to the pipe.

I  had an idea, might be a long shot.   It would be helpful if you have another dip stick to make this tool -  take one of the stainless steel strips from the side if a windshield wiper refill blade.  Cut a notch near one end, and bend it in a way that makes a hook / catch that can snag the edge of the dip stick.  Once you have something that can grab one in free space, time to go fishing in the tube..

21 hours ago, DaveT said:

A magnet isn't going to have enough contact area with the dip stick.   Also, too thin to get really strong attraction.  And it's in a steel pipe,  which will also tend to stick the dip stick to it, since the dip stick will carry the magnetism to the pipe.

I  had an idea, might be a long shot.   It would be helpful if you have another dip stick to make this tool -  take one of the stainless steel strips from the side if a windshield wiper refill blade.  Cut a notch near one end, and bend it in a way that makes a hook / catch that can snag the edge of the dip stick.  Once you have something that can grab one in free space, time to go fishing in the tube..

Or save some time fabbing the tool & buy one of these instead:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-Automotive-Pickup-Tool/1000594933?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-tol-_-google-_-lia-_-218-_-mechanicstools-_-1000594933-_-0&store_code=1170&placeholder=null&gclid=Cj0KCQiAxfzvBRCZARIsAGA7YMzbI005sCzA9gg6PLtVtD81hwwD4pCsFHjBM6vpuE5ASvF3fhdF2EsaAhVQEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Useful around the home too!

I have one of those (or similar) I had it way before Lowe's existed.   Anyway, it might work.  But the hole is kind of small, and a dips tick on end is going to need quite a bit of grip to pull out, unless the tube is a straight shot.  That's why I didn't think of it.

OK, there may be a way to use something like aquariam air supply tubing and one of those tiny neodymium magnets. If you had a length of tubing that would fit down the drain tube, with the magnet epoxied in the end, the tubing should help 'stand-off' the magnet from the sides enough that you could still slide the tubing down for a fishing expedition.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DaveT said:

I have one of those (or similar) I had it way before Lowe's existed.   Anyway, it might work.  But the hole is kind of small, and a dips tick on end is going to need quite a bit of grip to pull out, unless the tube is a straight shot.  That's why I didn't think of it.

Same here. Owned one made in USA for yrs. & that one is smaller OD at the grip end + all steel.

General Tool makes a nifty LED lighted one for about $20, but that one definitely has too large a grip head for the lower tube.

Maybe you can get one of those inspection cameras that is on a tube and look around, I think it is called a borescope, or and inspection camera. I think I got mine at Costco years ago.  I think Harbor Freight has them. It is handy for looking inside pipes and cylinders bores.... It may show you where you need to try to grab the dipstick. I hate to be negative but I don't think there would be enough to grip with the tools mentioned above or enough surface area for a magnet to work. 

I agree it would be best to get it out of there, but if the length is long enough it may not interfere with any gears just hitting the bottom of the case and laying on the side of the dipstick tube. Can a new/or used stock dipstick be inserted in the tube without any interference from the broken dipstick????

I haven't pulled a dipstick tube on a Subaru, but some are retained with a bolt and a bracket and a o-ring is usually stuffed inside the transmission around the tube for sealing, The o-ring usually gets hard. I would try to wobble the tube around a little to try to see it the will loosen up the tube, try not to deform the tube any more that you already have. Try to pull up as you wobble.

My thoughts , and good luck.

Paul