Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dipstick broken off in tranny

53 minutes ago, Espey16 said:

I cant figure out how to resize pictures from my phone.

If you are running Windows 10 you can do the following. Older versions of Windows have Paint, but the layout is different. Personally, I use a free program called Irfan View, but after windows 10 major updates, I have to keep sitting it as my default image and video viewer. My pc is 64bit so I use the 64bit version.

Once the pics are in a folder on your pc, go to the folder and right click (right mouse button) on the one you want to resize, a menu will pop out, scroll to "Open With". Another menu will pop out. Left click on Paint.

Paint will open and the image will be displayed at its normal size. A large image will look like it is zoomed in.

You will see Resize in the toolbar, click it. A small window will open and you can change the size by percentage. It will be at 100. Make sure "Maintain aspect ratio" is checked and when you change the top field the bottom will follow. A lot of phones take a large picture and you may have to change the size to 20 percent. The resized image will show in the window. If the image is still too large or too small, click the Undo button at the top left of the toolbar. There is Undo and Redo, they are curved arrows. Then do a different resize until the image fits in the window. The next step is to save the change. To preserve the original image, click File and Save As "Jpeg picture". In that window the name is displayed. Click on the name to remove the highlight and get the blinking line cursor and add a 1 or an a at the end of the name. And Save it.

• 4 months later...

Any updates on this? I have the same problem with my 1988 GL wagon.

As an aside, do you guys know if all Subaru 5MT dipsticks are the same length? I want to change the transmission oil but I don't have a good way of measuring it because of my broken dipstick situation. I was thinking maybe I could just find another 5 speed subie at Pick Your Part and steal the dipstick out of it... but I don't know if it's the same length as the one that came on my EA82 dual range 5MT