Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ive noticed that my older 1998 outback and my friends 2002 outback have a delay feature in the dome lights where after getting in and closing the door the light stays on a few seconds then fades out or after shutting the car off the light will come on and stay on after u get out and close the doors for about 10 seconds. what module makes this happen? my 2001 outback does not do this the lights only come on if the door is open or if i use the switch. once i shut the door its off immediately no fading out no delay.

Cool.

Does your car have the Security Control Module? It would be just left of the module you changed. If it doesn't there will be a connector plugged in that shorts certain wires.

I see there are 3 wires connected between the Keyless Entry Module and the Security Control Module. Maybe that is the trigger for key off to control the room light.

The wiring diagram shows how modules and other things are connected, but does not say how they work internally. So I am at a loss.

there was another module there but i dont remember what it was. so the security module has to move over as well? i dont think my car has the security on it. it was a base model that has been upgraded with almost every feature offered at this point. is there any other modules it ties into? i can swap those next itme im at my friends where the part car is

Edited by sirtokesalot

The Keyless Entry Module is on connector B176. The one you swapped.

The Security Module is located by the drivers right foot. See dash harness Connector B93.

If the car does not have the Security Module, I am pretty sure there will be some relays and maybe fuses missing, so just plugging one in will not work.

Dash Harness.jpg

hmmm i was looking for that module as well as it was one of the ones i was suspecting had to do with it. i couldn't even find the plug for it. would it be visable with the dash board in place? also if its not there would u know what relays and fuses would have to be put in? i will be hunting for it again.

7 hours ago, sirtokesalot said:

i couldn't even find the plug for it. would it be visable with the dash board in place? also if its not there would u know what relays and fuses would have to be put in?

I never worked on one, so I don't know.

I did see on one page of the wiring diagram that there are differences in the wiring harness for "with and without" Security Module, so they may use a different harness and the plug may not bee there.

If you find the plug B93 and there is no module, then I can search the wiring diagram (about 80 pages) to see what is connected to it. It will take me a few days so let me know if you find the plug..

B93 connector.jpg

I beleive this one is that plug. its funny because i saw the picture of the plug u sent and went i could swear i saw that behind the radio 2 days ago and it sure looks like it. i will patiently wait for the answer and thank you for checking over what id need to make this happen for me.

20191129_163856.jpg

Edited by sirtokesalot

Look at that, wow. Well I'll get started hunting. I have to look at each page for those two connecters and follow the wires to see what they go to. I might have to print  certain pages and hook them together to make sense of it all. That's better than scrolling up and down the pdf file.

While I am doing this, can you look through the owners manual to see if there is any setup procedure for the Security Module?

3 hours ago, Rampage said:

Look at that, wow. Well I'll get started hunting. I have to look at each page for those two connecters and follow the wires to see what they go to. I might have to print  certain pages and hook them together to make sense of it all. That's better than scrolling up and down the pdf file.

While I am doing this, can you look through the owners manual to see if there is any setup procedure for the Security Module?

from what i can tell the security module is in valet mode currently 2 rapid flashes every few seconds. i kinda want to leave it there because i have a remote start installed with its own lock/unlock buttons as well and did not intend to use the actual alarm more just want the delay function. i mean i could probly use the alarm but id have to figure out what to wire in from the remote start to bypass the security but it would be easier to just leave it in valet mode. the security light does the rapid double flash every few seconds with engine off and it stops blinking while running. i might mess with it tomarrow but its too late to be having horn honks and lights flashing outside right now

Edited by sirtokesalot

Here is what I found so far. If you look at the wiring harness (previous post) on the upper left edge you will see two connecters side by side. B59 and B243.

B59 is the Interrupt Relay for the starter. It is a "NORMALLY CLOSED" relay. On a system without the Security Module the B59 connecter will have a jumper connector plugged into it. When you get the proper relay, remove the jumper  and insert the relay.

The Security module will not see the coil of the relay because it is not there. I don't know if this is a problem for it to work correctly or not. The purpose of this relay is so the Security Module can disable the Starter.

B243 is the Security Horn Relay. It may already have a relay in it or not. They show a separate horn for security.

I'll keep hunting.

Edited by Rampage

i will check those out next chance i get. it has started snowing here and wasent planning to go out anywhere today the part car is about 45 min from here but im assuming should be easy to find the relay as the dashboard is out of the part car so should give me an idea where to look in mine when i find it in the part car. the b93 is that not the security unit its self? b243 kinds looks like it would be behind the fuse box area but i wont be able to check on that till likely wensday witch is the next time i plan to head up to my friends house with the part car. any other info before i get out there would be nice but ill take it as it comes i dont want to push u on finding it i know it can take a while to search through it all.

would the security horn work without the b243 relay? the horn did honk when i set off the alarm. just wondering if maby its already there because the horn did honk.

Edited by sirtokesalot

43 minutes ago, sirtokesalot said:

is there a way to disarm the security

I really have no idea. I have never owned one or worked on them for autos. What we're doing now is the closest I've been to one.

Without knowing the internal circuitry related to the pinout, it is just guess work.

In the late 70s - early 80s I designed and built electronic control boxes for security systems (from scratch) for business's. Those would call the owner and the police and sound an alarm and some would turn on certain lights.

well this is what has happened. i managed to get everytihng installed and the security does work the dome light never seemed to change operation though. i tried for a while to find a way to make the aftermarket remote start fob i have disable the factory security and finally decided its not possible so i removed the security module seeing as it did not seem to change the dome light option. im thinking i may pull the factory keyless module from the old car and use it to make the dome light function like i want it to. it just seems wrong to me as it is now. the current keyless module int he car makes the dome light come on and delay about 4 seconds before just turning off. it will not come on when i shut the car off ither. the old model keyless unit would leave the light on for like 15 seconds or until the car started. and the light would come on when the car was shut off and i dont think the new model module will do that from what ive seen now through 3 different keyless modules and security modules.

The keyless entry module controls the dome light. The wire from the light goes into the module on Pin 4 of B176 connector. The dimming effect control will be inside the module. So, they must have different versions for different effects. I do not know if they are interchangeable.

I didn't read the whole post, so forgive me if this is duplicate.

The newer BE/BH Outbacks have a Body Integrated Unit that controls many functions, where the older ones do not. I modified both of ours ('04 and '00), so that the keyless system unlocks all 4 doors at the first click. On the '04, this had to be done at the Body unit under the steering column, and the '00 from the keyless module behind the glove box.

Long story short, I think those systems are considerably different, and probably not easy to retrofit.

The door locks work, it is the dome light delay he wants to get working.

Talking about changes, my next project is to get our 97 door locks to work like our 95. Both are RHD. They use different Door Lock Timer Modules and switches. On the 95 (472k miles, she has put almost 400k on it delivering mail) when she opens the drivers door all the doors unlock and she can go around and get out packages. On the 97 opening the drivers door only unlocks that door and after finding the other doors still locked ******* she has to go back and hit the switch on the drivers door to unlock the other doors. A 400k mile habit is hard to break. That is one feature I wish they hadn't changed, especially on a mail car. The drivers door locks and unlocks all doors using the lever inside or the key outside.

23 hours ago, Rampage said:

The door locks work, it is the dome light delay he wants to get working.

I'm aware, it's an example. You said the keyless module controls the dome light on the 01, I happen to know that the keyless module works very differently on my '00 and '04 (The dome light on the '00 does not delay off, where it does on the '04).

My point is, retrofitting the components from the newer system is not a small job (will likely require swapping bulkhead harnesses and many control modules).