Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have had the red light on with the Airbag for a long time. No history of deployments with that.  The state inspection passed; someone from NY wants to buy the 1996 Brighton, was a little concerned about the light.  I think the fuses were checked and don't think I still have a problem one.  Thanks for input on this.

Airbag light on means a fault in the system and the airbags won't deploy in a crash.  Could be a crash sensor, control unit or an air bag.  I was able to fix my 03 Forester by putting in a unit from a pull and pay.  I do believe their is a method to pull the fault codes out but I don't recall how its done.

22 hours ago, heartless said:

if the light is on, there is something in the system that is causing it.

the light does not come on for no reason whatsoever. a bad sensor, bad wiring, damage to the control unit (moisture or something) - something caused the light to trip.

And if the Airbag light is ON the airbags WILL NOT deploy in an accident

• Like 1

This was definitely a mechanic's job; I dropped it off and he did the airbag and an exhaust leak, so hopefully the car will be ok for now as I have been trying to sell it.  It is running too well to sell for only $1300 IMO.  

• 3 weeks later...

Try unplugging and replugging the connector under the driver's seat a few times. It solved this problem on our '98 Legacy GT. Prior to doing that I was able to pull a fault code of 12 (the airbag ECU is more like an OBD1 where you need to jumper a wire between two pins in a connector under th edash and count the blinks of a light to get the code). The error code I pulled was very general and didn't identify what was wrong. I was told dealers may have an apparatus that can be hooked up to older Subaru's to figue it out. I'm glad it was only the coinnector in my case.