Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82 into 82 brat

Looking for any information regarding putting an ea82 engine into my 82 brat.

I have read on other forms that it has been done and requires distributor modification however no one has listed any information or details on how to do it. 

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated thank you

I've done it and yes it is tight but no frame mods. On mine all I had to do was move the brake proportioning valve to clear the distributor but mine was an automatic. I used the es81 radiator and spiced two ea82 lower hoses to fit but it would be much easier to have a radiator shop put an ea82 lower fitting on it. I installed on a spfi engine but a carved engine would be much easier.

I'm curious as to why that particular swap.  EA81 simpler and more reliable than EA82.   Iirc,  you could put the SPFI from an 82 onto an 81.  That would get you the slightly more power.    Both EA engines have many NLA parts.  Similarge amount of time and money spent you could put in an EJ that you can also still get parts for.

If you plan on keeping EA82s running, start scrounging parts everywhere you find any.  Getting rarer every week.  Be ready to replace timing belts and 3 idlers [or their bearings] every 50K miles.  I have 2 wagons with SPFI EA82s, and shelves of spare parts, so I'm set for a while.  Having 2 helps a lot, since almost nothing is a walk into a store and buy it off the shelf item, at least around here.  When one needs repair, I have the other to drive.

If your EA82 is carbed, it's not a big wiring nightmare, if it's SPFI, it is just as big a job as an EJ.  Or you could put a weber carb on it.  The EA82 carb is a nightmare if it's not working, from what I see in threads on here.

Do it ! Especially as you have a rebuilt EA82

I have done this three times now, each with theEA82 5MT

No mods to dizzy tangs at least if std height

I love how mine just keeps revving and pulling - quietly due to ohc and hydraulic lifters.

Mind you, I have not done a single port one. Mine have been all twin ports either na or turbo

All the std hates of EA82 are gone when you run the EA81 radiator !

You really need to drop one in to see where you need to belt the rails the tiniest. I filed done the flutes on the rocker cover for clearance

On 11/30/2019 at 10:33 AM, Hirschel Riley said:

Reason for wanting to do the swap is I happened upon  a ea82 that is completely rebuilt from top to bottom and would like to find a good home for it

This was basically why I did it. I already had a good ea82 spfi and a good wiring harness out of a wreck and could not find a decent ea81 so I swapped them. Mine was an automatic so that simplified the swap.