Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car Alarms For Old Subes?

I found a simple one from China but after ordering, it never arrived, but my refund did. I don't have electric locks and merely need it for motion detection as well as a panic button. Hard to find so far. Good luck, Subarule. I want to monitor this as I have the need, been 4 times that someone has ransacked mine. I used to forget ,with hands full, to lock doors. I do a walk around as I leave and before bedtime.

Edited by lrgvanman

It is the lack of reliable touch sensors that is going to let you down here. Tandy / Radio Shack did one in the 80s that I installed in one car and still worked 30 years later. What let it down was the adjustable motion sensor that was not a mercury tilt switch as rumoured. Motion detection was a lateral pendulum between contacts a bit like relay contacts.

I could have it nicely adjusted for bumps, yet in the cool of the early morning, whether it was bimetal or not pendulum, the temp made it contact setting off the alarm for three long minutes, or the time for me to work out I was not dreaming the alarm was going off, get up, fumble for keys, fly outside to deactivate - no remote fobs then!

Water proof pin switches for boot and bonnet

Arm and disarm was by IGN on, off and accessory position so no remotes, auto armed was best thing about it - superior to today's remote fob arm disarm

My intention would be to have it activated on my car if it was sitting parked behind my garage immediately adjacent to an alley that was used by all manner of foot and vehicle traffic. Just want to keep anyone away from it who had plans of trying to get near it with intentions of vandalizing. Which is the point of any car alarm, I suppose. 

Like I said, an untapped market for a potential industry.

My first car I put in an alarm.  Was back before boom cars were a thing, but I had a high end stereo system.  I set up the arm disarm switch so that locking and unlocking the driver's door controlled it.  Only the key controlled it, the buttons did not.   It had some kind of tilt switch.   Never had a problem with it.  

A walk by / run by keying, the only thing I can think of is a couple of security camers mounted so they have a good view of the car.  And maybe you could get a good enough pic to help the police  athch they guy.   Some idiot walking by just to do that, could do it, the alarm goes of, and runs away before anyone could get there to catch him red handed. 

Car alarm ? I leave the keys in mine. If any thief can figure out how to start it, they can keep the cold blooded old rust bucket. 

Seriously though, a hidden starter switch or fuel pump switch is my best recommendation. 

That and don't leave it locked, or any thing worth stealing in the car. 

Solar powered sensor lights for dark time at least. Have you a high spot to mount some? Another beaut move it on buddy system I came up on once on the surrounds of a takeaway in a quiet industrial area _ sensor light came on and at same time a ringing bell. Each time light went out, so too did bell. I thought twice ( very quickly) about knocki g that place over :)

How about an electric fence jigger rigged up with an earth strap. Should prevent people taking a leak on your pride and joy

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Steptoe said:

Solar powered sensor lights for dark time at least. Have you a high spot to mount some? Another beaut move it on buddy system I came up on once on the surrounds of a takeaway in a quiet industrial area _ sensor light came on and at same time a ringing bell. Each time light went out, so too did bell. I thought twice ( very quickly) about knocki g that place over :)

How about an electric fence jigger rigged up with an earth strap. Should prevent people taking a leak on your pride and joy

I have a dawn-to-dusk automatic light ( what is called a barn light in the U.S.) mounted on the peak of my garage. Unfortunately that wouldn't stop anyone who's high on meth looking to break into cars. When they can't break in or they do break in and don't find anything they take out their frustration my causing damage. Vandalizing cars is a cottage industry here.

6 hours ago, Steptoe said:

Here, they go another step and set fire to burn any DNA or finger prints :(

Yes they do. So not only do they get done for car theft, they also get done for arson IF they’re ever caught, more not caught or linked to the arson than those convicted. 

A burnt out stolen car of mine is probably my worst fear for my Subaru’s :( 

Cheers 

Bennie

16 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Yes they do. So not only do they get done for car theft, they also get done for arson IF they’re ever caught, more not caught or linked to the arson than those convicted. 

A burnt out stolen car of mine is probably my worst fear for my Subaru’s :( 

Cheers 

Bennie

The meth tweakers here looking to break into cars to steal whatever they get their hands on ride around on bicycles so they are much more agile at getting than any police vehicle. Like most U.S. cities and towns we have a meth problem. Sophisticated car thieves are pretty well non-existent here.

5 hours ago, Subasaurus said:

just use the cigarette lighter as a continuation for the starter switch, if they can figure that out, then they were going to take the car anyways, old 70's trick my dad taught me. vehicle being a Manual is probably your best anti theft system in the U.S. though.

It's damage to the outside I was concerned with, not theft of the car. I think the local dopers are too stoned to drive a manual-shift car. If they ever knew how in the first place. :lol:

4 hours ago, el_freddo said:

Is there ever such a thing as this?? I think not. Just scum. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Oh yeah, there. Criminal organizations steal luxury cars & desirable vintage cars ship them to buyers overseas. They are very sophisticated. So are the thieves who steal cars for chop shops. Maybe it's an American thing.

The stealing for OS doesn’t really happen here. It used to happen for interstate sales, but with the state authorities finally getting their act together and sharing info, this is a lot harder to do now. 

Chop shops are sort of a thing of the past really, but organised gangs are known to buy a legit car and plan to steal one of the same make/model etc and do a driveline/interior/accessories swap. Then cut the stolen body up and dump it (probably recycle it these days), after all that sell the legit car for a much higher price and a tidy profit. This happens very quickly once the target is stolen. 

Cheers 

Bennie