Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 imprea 2.2 doesn't have injector pulse

Here is the story... I have a 99 impreza outback with the ej22. I bought it with a bad engine. It had been overheated to the point of not having any compression. Recenty I purchased a 99 legacy L sedan for the engine that also had the ej22. I drove the legacy home. I pulled the engine to transplant in the impreza. After having the engines side by side I realized that everything above the engine block is different than the impreza. Then i swapped the original impreza intake to the donor block. After installing the engine I still don't have a running car. It cranks but doesn't start. I currently have spark. It seems as if though I have good fuel pressure. I checked the timing belt and were all good there. I have a positive 12 v to the injectors but no pulse to the injectors. I've un plugged and plugged back in every connector on the engine. I say with confidence that everything is plugged in and routed right.  Any suggestions? 

8 hours ago, poorboy87 said:

Cam and crank sprockets are identical. The cam and crank sensors are plugged in. The sensors are identical to the sensors on the engine I removed. 

Are you sure? Did you physically check the back of the cam wheel and compare the tabs to ensure they’re the same? 

The crank pulley can be done by eye without removing the cam belt or pulley. 

It’s got to be something simple that’s being overlooked like the cam wheel. 

Cheers 

Bennie

I will double check the cam and crank pulley tonight. However The ones that are on there are for that block. To me it would only make sense that the timing of the crank and cams would need to match the block in order to run. If there were a difference between the pulleys wouldn't that mean the internals were different as well? That being said I have spark but no fuel injector pulse. 

Ok I checked and I am wrong. I pulled the drivers side cam cover and I can see at least three hashes on the cam sprocket when my original only has two. So here in the next couple of days I will be swapping them out for the original pulleys to the car. Thanks for all of the support. Sorry for my ignorance. 

IMG_8726.JPG

A fellow in Nashville, TN had the same problem.

I was going there for work.  I took a SET Crank and Cam pulleys that he needed.  Swapped them both over.  Set the timing and had it going in under an hour.

Fixed the valve cover gasket as well.   The shop had pinched it and cut it.  Leaked like crazy.  

Always happy to help a Subaru Owner out.  

• Like 2

Changed out the cam and crank pulleys. Cleaned the the cam sensor. Now its up and running. Thanks again for all of your support. 

Just currious if if any one can tell me why the legacy cam pulley has seven hashes on the back when my impreza only has two? 

IMG_8735.JPG

Awesome! I’m surprised you didn’t notice the difference in the cam sprockets - an easily noticeable difference without removing the timing kit. 

As of why one has seven and the other only two, it’s related to the changes in the crank pulley tab count and how the ECU references both of these for ignition and injector pulse timings. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1