Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2008 2.5 engine in a 2011 2.5 ????

Hello group,

I have a friends 2011 outback with a N/A 2.5  that needs an engine. I have a low mileage 2008 JDM N/A 2.5  engine that i wondered would fit.

The valve covers will need swapped so that the coil packs will have somewere to bolt. There is also the obvious peripherals like the intake that i will need to swap.

Any help is appreciated,

Craig

Edited by logic23

I haven't gotten too far with this project but I already found one difference: The spark plug tubes are about an 1/8 shorter on the 2011 engine.

When you go to bolt the valve covers down you are really squishing the spark plug tube seal against the valve cover.

Ill take some pics once i get the 2011 engine out and see if there are other differences.

12 hours ago, logic23 said:

The issue with the 2011 is that it jumped time and bent valves.

Thanks

Buy a set of used heads and you’re done. 

Ive replaced valves, but they can be mind numbing if you dont have a spring compressor fit for EJ25s.  the auto parts store loaner ones don’t work for all the valves due to side clearance. None of the three valve compressor tools I’ve used work or require exceptional work arounds and gobs of time. I built a crude tool to do them. If you don’t have a compressor good for EJ25s it’ll be a time sucking brouhaha. 

I can’t work out how that valve master system works - is there another piece require to fit one of those tools into? 

I’ll keep it simple at my end - I’ve used this a number of times successfully:  

https://www.amazon.com/GEARWRENCH-2078D-Universal-Overhead-Compressor/dp/B0002STSGC#immersive-view_1575671478784 

pretty easy to use on EJ251 heads, it’d be a different story on DOHC heads I reckon. I didn’t get mine from Amazon, I got it from a local store.

Cheers 

Bennie