Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Outback Wagon Master Window Switch Replacement

I have a replacement master window switch assembly and would like some insight into what to do and no do to replace this switch.  Do I have to remove the door panel, and if so what is the procedure?  I found one screw at the door handle and one screw just below the armrest.  There is a plastic push holder towards the front center edge.

yes, the door panel will need to be removed.

if at all possible, get the vehicle inside a warm garage.. cold clips are more prone to breaking

look carefully for any small covers that could be hiding more screws - check at both top ends also..under or around the rubber seals. you may also want to remove the triangular piece over the mirror mount - makes it much easier to remove and reinstall the panel if that is out of the way. it is usually just held with clips - pry gently all the way around to prevent breaking things.

remove the screws you have found, then with a wide flat tool get under the edge of the panel and gently pry it away from the door - there are small plastic push clips that keep the bottom edge fastened in.. once the panel is loose and hinging at the top, push upwards at the back end to get it started out of the window channel. (note: door handle can be kind of a pain, but it will come out)

once you have the panel loose from the door, you will have to unplug wiring to fully remove it.

from there, replacing the master switch should be pretty self explanatory - installation is the reverse of removal - plug everything back in, set top edge back into window channel, and pop clips back into their holes in the lower section, reinstall screws and any covers and you should be done.