Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forgot the Lifters

First time trying to put back together my EA81 fresh from the machine shop.  Got to the point of putting the lifters in then it hit me... it don't fit!  These solid lifters don't fit when the case is all sealed and put together.  Should have read the manual better, hind sight...

The reason I didn't do this was that, this isn't might first disassembly, but I had taken apart a later model EA81.  That later one I had the pleasure of dealing with, the lifters just fell out every time I tried to turn the motor on it's side.  But that one had hydraulic lifters.  Crap.

That was about 7 hours ago, I get home, check the lengths of the solid lifter vs. the hydraulic lifter, and the hydraulic lifter is a smidge shorter.  So unless Subaru changed the crankcase design from late 1979 to the early 80's, then I should be able to use the hydraulic lifters instead of the solid lifters, right?  Correct me if I'm wrong.  This is just my way of trying to not have to disassemble the whole sealed crank with pistons installed again.

Thank you

No, you have it wrong on when the lifters go in.

Uh, oh Jongo ! You are not putting solids into cases that had hydraulic lifters are you?

From memory the non solids had an insert in the cases

I don't know if hydraulics are smaller diameter than solids but maybe ...

Also read a longtime ago that the pushrods between the two lifter types differed, mentioning oil flow through character istics ....how true no idea

I do recall looking at my low miler imported from Japan hydraulic engine that it looked like the hydraulic lifters sleeves need removal to use solids in their place. All decades ago so memory is not reliable

Edited by Steptoe

Update:  The hydraulic lifters did not fit in without separating the case.  So, after an hour and a half everything was fixed and put back together.  

Hydraulic lifters fit the 1979 EA81, as well as the original solids.  I got the heads on as well and everything looks normal and it pushes all the valves alright.  No problems.

I'm not sure, but there may  be differences in the cam profiles used for Hydro vs. Solid.

I would not mix and match.  Especially not without a fresh polish on the Cam lobes.

Always keep lifters matched to their location on the cam is the best practice.

It will likely run, but it's not a good idea to mix and match valvetrain items.

Edited by FerGloyale

Just looking at it I saw really no differences in the 2 cams

There could be some, really all I want now is a car with a working heater.

Only parts that are from the original EA81 are the came and crankcase.  

My machine shop screwed up and sent me the wrong crankshaft, but they fitted it with the right bearings, so It should work.

Heads are from a junkyard, so not original to the crankcase.

Hydraulic lifter cams will usually have a higher profile/larger lobes for lift. Usually. 

I’ve heard that machine shops prefer hydraulic lifter cams when grinding new profiles for a solid lifter engine because there’s plenty of meat to use for the change of opening angles, duration and height. 

Cheers 

Bennie

All I need is a running car, so if I take a small decrease in valve lift I should be fine?  Maybe? 

Haynes Manuel, Subaru 1600 & 1800:

Cam lobe height

With solid lifters................1.2693 (standard)

With hydraulic lifters..........1.4134 (standard)

Large difference, but with my minor understanding, this will only result in a minor reduction?

I think I will leave it, bit of laziness and a bit of an experiment.  I'll post if I notice a difference in how it was to how it is now, with work and school I don't have much time to get it all done.  

If there is a difference, would it be possible to increase the length of the pushrods to accommodate the difference in lifter height?

18 hours ago, Steptoe said:

In the interest of broad opinion, I would leave it and see. Sometimes goof-ups can be nice surprise. Been doing this a bit rebuilding mtb's

Umm... mtb’s as in mountain bikes? That’s a little different than the internal operations of an engine Jonno!!

9 hours ago, BDRATT said:

If there is a difference, would it be possible to increase the length of the pushrods to accommodate the difference in lifter height?

That will fill a bit of a gap or slack in the system rather than using the rocker adjustment setup. But it won’t provide any extra lift/opening to the valve’s movement. 

Cheers 

Bennie