Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rattling from drivers side front wheeel

Well I got frustrated with all the time this was taking; having to wait for warm non rainy days to work etc  I got a quote from the mechanic I talked to for 150 for relacing the one link.  that was 1hr labor and the part plus me paying for their hand soap and rags. The shop is only about a mile from my house so the mech rode me home and heard the noise for himself on my road.  got a call from them said they had to use the "electronic ears" to pinpoint the problem which was the driver's side link.but recommend doing both sides.  At this point I just wanted it done total was 339 and change. which included another hour for the ears. Here's the kicker it isn't fixed!!!  sounds just the same as before I spent my money.  I called as soon as I got home.  They said to bring it back and they would make it good.  I know this fellow a bit he has a number of classic cars and I have a 55 chevy,  kind of a hot rod.  So we talk at car shows etc. I will mention the TSB to them and let you know how this gets resolved.

The shop called me yesterday and said they can't find the problem.  They also refunded the entire amount that I had paid them which I thought was very generous.  They also provided me with a list of things they did to try to fix the problem.  As you can see it is very extensive.  Not sure what is left to try at this point.  I have attached the list here as a PDF.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

subaru001.pdf

hmmmmm....did this same shop do the brake work that preceded the rattling problem? kinda wondering if some 'accident' is being 'covered-up' -like the car shifted/dropped on the lift or ?????

if we think a welded nut or other steel object is causing the noise, maybe a very strong magnet in some various areas near the rear support for the lwr ctrl arm's rear bushing - might 'trap' something loose?

I'm not sure how much longer people will read my post about this and understand I have just about given up myself.  Today I had to replace the low beam headlamp on the car, could they make it any harder?  While I had the wheel off I could see that the shop did everything they said they did as evidenced by fresh cotter pins etc.  I grabbed the drive shaft and moved in in and out and it made a noise that sounded like what i'm getting.  Any Chance it could be the cv joint?  If it was would applying the brakes make the noise go away.  Just one other thing.  When I drove the car as it has done before there was no noise for the first half mile or so then it came back.

yes, it is possible, especially if it is an aftermarket unit.

and yes, touching the brakes slows wheel rotation, thus the axle shaft rotation as well - so yeah, it is a very real possibility.

One thing you could try that costs nothing but some of your time if you do it yourself is to swap the axles left to right and see if the noise follows.. if it does, you have your answer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1