Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sub.Forester 2007 /115k
Since a few days I have CRUISE CONTROL message blinking and along with that CHECK ENGINE. After weekend (2 days no driving) it went off, then Monday after o.5hr driving came back again.
Of course I cannot turn on/off cruise controll and any of its features are not working.    I was wondering if there is something that possibly could be reset ? Fuse? Relay ? switch ? etc?

Any ideas what might be causing it ?

Edited by sadarahu

There is a reason for both lights at the same time.

Owners manual would be the best source.

From the Web:

Q. My check engine light came on and or my Cruise control light is flashing, is My Subaru ok to drive?

A. The check engine light can come on for one of many reasons, as such there is really no way to know if its for a loose gas cap or something much more serious without at a minimum a code scan. Starting in 2005 Subaru commanded the Cruise light to flash as well as disabling the cruise control to get your attention. As long as the light is on steady and there is no apparent change in the way your Subaru is performing its most likely ok to drive.

Get the ECU codes!

as above suggested got to autozone, advanced auto etc and they will read the codes for free.

come back here with whatever the code is for suggestions on how to proceed.

there may be more than one code.

bring it on.

I use something like THIS that saves me a drive to the parts stores. also handy for clearing codes and getting readiness set for passing emissions ;-)

Edited by brus brother

You can also disconnect the negative battery terminal for 5 minutes to clear the code.  If it is a continuing fault (check engine light comes on again) take it to a chain auto parts store to get the code read (make sure to get the PXXX number) and come back here for help.