Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 Legacy Q’s my latest daily

$460 special. That’s right $460

Pardon my lack of searching at this time.

273k on it , drips a little oil onto the exhaust. Otherwise I’m just about to learn about this car as I just now took possession of it. 

First , the steering column tilt feature I enjoy when getting in and out. But this car has a lever that seems locked and I don’t want to break it trying to force it. Anybody else experience this ? 

Second , the noise maker for the signal lights keeps clicking all the time the car is running. Solution ? I have not yet looked up under the dashboard. 

Third , when I take off in first gear there is usually a thumping for a few seconds. My thought was (thinking older Subies) that there’s a strap mount at the U-joint split in the prop shaft and one side is becoming loose - seen this. I don’t even know if this is a two piece prop shaft , just assuming. Any clue on the noise and is my prop shaft a two piece ? Little lazy and it’s cold so I’m not getting under it today. Much to do. 

Will have more Q’s soon. Thanks for any help. 

Yes i I have the alloys too. Previous owner had these because he wanted to try to use the alloys on newer Subarus. The alloys will be back on soon or maybe after winter.

Edited by moosens

Nice score! Very much like our $550 special on a Gen3 RX “Basil” 

Ns3F98.jpg 

Lights and rims were added. 

Prop shaft is two piece. Knocking/thudding sound could also be dead front struts. 

The oil leak is most likely the driver’s side head gasket leaking oil from the no-pressure oil return gallery. Look up GD’s recommendations for HG replacement to solve this issue. Also remove the cam retainer plate when torquing heads down, then clean up, apply high torque sealant and replace. 

Nice colour by the way ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

Nice Score!

the steering column lever probably hasnt been moved/used in ages and yeah, it can be a bear to get it to break free, but it should eventually.. my Forester's was locked up pretty tight, too, when i first got it.

are you sure the "noise maker" (flasher) is what is causing the noise? there are other relays up in there that could also be clicking. need to pinpoint what is causing it.

thumping when taking off from a dead stop.. check the suspension over carefully. could be a number of things..

Not sure what to tell you about the column tilt....

Turn signal noise maker is just the flasher relay, just like the older cars. Pretty unlikely that it would be clicking on and off without your lights actually flashing. Most likely something else.

Driveshaft is not a 2 piece like the older ones. No flange and Ujoint in the middle, just a DOJ like a CV axle and Ujoints on either end. I'd start by checking the rear ujoint and rear diff bushings.

15 hours ago, Numbchux said:

Driveshaft is not a 2 piece like the older ones. No flange and Ujoint in the middle, just a DOJ like a CV axle and Ujoints on either end. I'd start by checking the rear ujoint and rear diff bushings.

There you go, I thought this was considered a two piece shaft because it is flexible in the middle, regardless of flanges etc. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Thanks all !!  You guys are great as usual. 

Should have time over the next week to get to know it more intimately. You know what I mean ...

The clicking goes to the normal rate for the turn signal when engaged , then when not engaged it goes back to a more rapid clicking. Maybe double speed of the normal turn clicker. 

Ill check that too, Larry , thanks.

ABS light also on , but I think with minimal research in the archives or just back a page or two , there’s my solution. 

Can’t tell you guys enough that I am typically a good 10-15 years behind from the current models. Last car I bought to use as a daily was a 1992 in 2007. A 15 year old with around 119k. 

That car is still here , body not any much worse than back then. 

This green goblin is already 17 and holding 274k (just turned). Body fairly solid. Original owners , garage kept , receipts up the wazzoo. 

The not so funny part is he had TWO teenaged sons use this car and it looks great. I have ONE son who as a teenager destroyed TWO Subarus. 

Life. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1