Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Drivers Side TB Snapped Tonight

Ok, so I am running no covers and tonight the engine just went dead. Luckily I was able to coast into a parking lot off the freeway. Looked underneath and I see the belt hanging there.  This should be an easy fix on this 93 Loyale EA82. I won't attempt it until spring as I normally swap from this one (FWD) to my other Loyale a 4WD, which BTW started up after sitting 10 months!  So those of you who have done the timing belt without removing the engine (without TB covers too), please give me all your sweet tips gained from bloodied knuckles and cursing like a sailor. I am old, my skin is thin and doesn't heal as easily any more. I have learned to listen to those who have come before and avoid pitfalls. Chime in folks. Happy Christmas to you all.

Edited by MR_Loyale

It can be repaired in 15 minutes.  No one removes the engine.  Where did that come from?

From what you’ve said so far - plan on replacing all the pulleys and both timing belts.  Do not just replace the belt.  

if there’s oil then reseal the oil pump and replace the cam seal and cam cap oring. Personally I would just do this at the same time because it’s easy cheap and smart. 

it’s easy - loosen 12mm tensioner bolts and swap the belt.  Put a slight amount of tension on the cam pulley to tighten the belt as you tighten the tensioner bolt down  

get an FSM online for free for any EA82 and ask any questions you might have.   

• Like 2

Remove the fans.

You can also remove the radiator to get more room to work.

Follow the procedure in the FSM.  And don't forget to turn the crank one full revolution between installing  belt 1 and belt 2.

My added steps -

After the initial install of the 2 belts, start the engine, let it run for 5 to 10 seconds.  No water pump drive, so don't go longer.  Check that the belts are tracking well [not crammed against a guide, or a cover,etc.  Repeat the tensioning steps as if you were installing the belts, following the steps [timing in the correct position for each belt, one turn between belts] in the FSM.  

Re assemble everything if all is well after this.  Then you are good to go.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dee2 said:

Here's a couple of articles that may help

Hey thanks. I actually have done the timing belt (twice) but both times I removed the engine and did a front end seal and the works. I left the timing belt covers off so  the next time they were due, I could see how much easier it would be . The Miles Fox videos and writeup on doing it are first class. The first time I did the timing belts, the videos weren't even available and I went to a blog post he had done on the topic.  Worked great. Right now the weather is sucking and this car is FWD and I live on a hill. Normally I would have transitioned to the 4WD Loyale by now so this was Karma telling me to do so because snow is predicted.  The 4WD Loyale sat 10 months and started right up.  Just one reason I love the Loyales.

Edited by MR_Loyale
I suck at typing.

Oh yeah - same thing - all the seals are easy to do in the car. no one removes the engines for belts, oil/cam seals or water pump. Entire front end reseal and timing job is routine service for most Subaru shops and Subaru people.  

Get an FSM and look at the steps. Ask if you have any questions.  Very easy.  

The crank seal has limited space to remove and install but there’s easy enough ways to do it.  Everything else is a piece of cake. 

Same thing happened to me last week. Just died coasting into town after driving fine for 30m. Checked all the easy things on the roadside and then pushed 50yards into gas station. Really good place to break, but its a bad time of year to not have a garage. Any suggestions for brands to buy or stay away from?

One little thing I used to do and still do on EJ’s is to use a couple of Pony clamps or whatever you have that will hold the belt on the “sprocket” while you release the tensioner so nothing moves at that time but the tensioner and the slack taken up.

Miles is a top dog. Almost got to meet him when in Chicago but he’s an hour and a half north in beer town.

Also , I live in New England and do pretty much what you do. But I am a FWD fan or fanatic at this point. I still insist that FWD is fine for 98% of the year.

Great advice , and you’re experienced already. You’ll be fine. Enjoy !