Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Turbo XT Outback exhaust question

I'm really curious about the down pipe on my turbo XT wagon. I am in the middle of replacing the exhaust and I noticed that the downpipe, (right out from the turbo), did not have a catalyst in it. It's just a straight pipe through. The "replacement" downpipe HAS a catalyst in in. I cannot see where there was ever a catalyst inside my original pipe. Is the downpipe supposed to be a catalyst? I know that there is a cat further back in the system. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!  Todd

Unless you have testing in your area you don't need it. But on a 2005 there are three cats. One in the up-pipe (dangerous for the turbo and should be deleted as Subaru did after 05), and two in the downpipe. Aftermarket high flow downpipes either have one high-flow cat or none at all. Be aware that if it's automatic you need a specific downpipe that's only for the 5EAT Legacy GT chassis. 

Those cars suffered from turbo failure due to oil feed restrictions. You should reroute the oil feed from the primary block gallery. 

They have quite a few other flaws also. Honestly the 05/06 LGT platform cars were quite the mess. Ring lands, pickup tubes, HVAC/radio panels, turbo oil feed, up-pipe cats.... the list is long. 

GD

The downpipe is original, but it may have been removed and the CAT deleted at some point before I bought the car. I am going to check the up pipe for a CAT....I will delete that if it's there. I really like the car alot. GD  can you elaborate more on the reroute of the oil feed change?  Any of the other flaws that need addressed ASAP? This car has a new turbo and is running good. 

Thanks!! Todd

We run a braided stainles -3AN line from the rear block main gallery (behind and to the right of the throttle body) directly to the turbo using only the original banjo bolt at the turbo for its orifice. 

The three other critical pieces for these is to replace the oil pickup tube with a Killer-B, remove the up-pipe cat, and get an Access Port and proper safe tune to ensure you don't break the cast pistons. Or replace them with forged. 

Also at some point the factory intercooler will split apart at the end tank bolted to the turbo. AVO makes a nice aluminum replacement. 

The radiators tend to crack as the front core supports have more flex than the Impreza chassis that had the reinforcement brace. There are some braces for the Legacy's out there. 

And be prepared to replace the short block at some point or at least the pistons with forged. I think the 05/06 LGT auto has the highest ring land failure rate we have seen. 

These cars can cost a HUGE amount to bulletproof. I've had multiple customers spend $9k to $12k doing it. 

GD

I'm beginning too think about this more. I hate to unload, but the car is not worth putting in that kind of money for a probable future failure. If the car is that fragile....hmm.  I know the top end of this engine, turbo and some other things, has about 7K dumped into it already. I'm accustomed to SUBARU reliability, like the non-interference 2.2 liters EJ22!  Just delete the tubo with an engine transplant? This car was kinda "accidentally" purchased, (long story), but I'm not liking the feeling I'm getting about future costs. Maybe I should sell this nice car now, while it's running good and can get some reasonable cash out of it?? What do you think of the 6 cylinders in the last few years they offered them on the Outbacks? 

The 3.6R is an excellent engine and the last years with the high torque CVT seems to be quite reliable. We have a customer with about 200k on a 2016. He's killed three deer with it. Dealer replaced the trans at 100k for a converter seal leak (minor). 

Unfortunately I cannot recommend the 05-09 Legacy chassis cars. I would absolutely get rid of it before it becomes an albatross. The junk yards are FULL of those cars with no body damage. Just scrapped because of drivetrain failure and the cost to repair far exceeds their value. They have an STI engine with all the same costs to repair and upgrade but the rest of the car is less reliable than an STI. Bad combo. 

Oh yeah - the 5EAT auto likes to eat valve bodies, wiring harnesses, torque converters, and the occasional TCU also. It's also rather a troublesome unit. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Its a shame the platform didn't hold up better overall but once mine was sorted I really enjoyed it and the comfort and noise level IMO was quite good. No argument though that my 2004 Legacy, despite the touchy drive by wire and sensitive cat monitoring, is a more solid chassis and just one hell of a vehicle... I think I'm going to sell it soon!