Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys i have a 96 legacy outback and am looking to replace the fog lights. When i got the car one was mossing completely and the other was broken. I was wondering what the best. Plug and play option is to get more light down the road? Any and all help is appreciated

Fog lights shouldn’t be used for throwing light down the road. They’re too low to start with and they’ll blind on-coming drivers. 

Really they shouldn’t be used unless IN fog. It’s a big issue over here in Oz, many use them all the time and as an oncoming driver they’re not great to work with. 

Dunno why they’re called fog lights anyway, they should be full yellow for good fog penetration! 

I did a snow season over here and wrapped my lights in yellow cellophane, including my driving lights. Worked mint when we were covered in clouds.

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

20 hours ago, el_freddo said:

They’re too low to start with and they’ll blind on-coming drivers.

Some of these new driving lights and fog lights are nasty. Some are angled up too high. And the ones that are angled down too far glare off the wet road.

Edited by Rampage

there is a marked difference between "fog" lights and "driving" lights - they are not the same thing.

Fog lights throw the light down and wide at the road surface so you can see the lane markings easier in foggy conditions.

Driving lights throw the light down the road - further ahead - to see further down the road - and yes, they can be problematic for oncoming drivers. Driving lights should be used in the same way high beam headlights are used.. when there is oncoming traffic - turn them off!

THanka for that heartless. I’m sure ppl know the difference between fognsnd driving lights. 

The problem with “fog” lights is the everyone runs them ALL THE TIME with their headlights on. They’re typically glary and if they were true fog lights they would be yellow to pearce though the white cloud. White light reflects back, so why are fog lights typically white or so close to it that they’re not really fog lights. 

Lights are one of my pet hates on cars. HID lights are another one manufacturers slipped through. Crap light, glary colour (cool white). They should never let them on the road. 

If you had uber smooth roads that didn’t make the suspension bounce that could make life with oncoming HIDs easier to live with. 

I wrapped my driving lights when living in the snow because that’s what I had. They were awesome and worked way better than I ever expected. The local constabulary didn’t have an issue with yellow lights across the front of my car during that time. 

Cheers 

Bennie

14 hours ago, el_freddo said:

THanks for that heartless. I’m sure ppl know the difference between fog and driving lights.

there are a lot of people that don't know the difference, and use the terms interchangeably..

and I agree, fog lights should be yellow. the yellow seems to penetrate better

Once upon a time, I had a set of aftermarket lights that had both styles.. fog and driving with a switch to flip from one to the other.. two separate bulbs and reflectors in each housing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, heartless said:

Once upon a time, I had a set of aftermarket lights that had both styles.. fog and driving with a switch to flip from one to the other.. two separate bulbs and reflectors in each housing.

That’s pretty cool. Still a white light though? 

Did you guys get the L series fog lights with (what I believe was) a set of electrically operated covers over your way? They never came out here but were super cool! You don’t see anything like them on the market nowadays. 

Cheers 

Bennie

I've got a right side full assembly, meaning mounting bracket and glass light fixture itself.  Bulb may still be plugged into it, too.  As I recall, the glass flat surface is not cracked or broken, and IIRC it just needs a little cleaning and maybe some polishing.  I've a couple of those grates that attach to the outside, too.