Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coolant temp sensor EA82T

Leebo

Hey friends,

Recently replaced the water pump and thermostat on my 86 GL10 MPFI.  I let my buddy do the thermostat while I tinkered with other things and after a few days of driving I noticed it was leaking coolant from the t-stat housing so I will have to reseal that. I’ve also noticed the temp reading on the dash comes and goes. I was going to replace the sensor that controls this but after reading through a bunch of threads Im still confused which sensor it is and is it possible I may just get away with cleaning up really well instead of replacing since it does read the temp some times. I’m pretty positive it isn’t the sensor coming straight off of the top of the t stat housing. I noticed one right below the t stat housing with a single tab. Any help is much appreciated. 

Lee

653442E0-358E-425D-A727-AE98B5C4ADA4.jpeg

Second pic, single tab. Natu2 confirmed that! 

Check the engine wiring plug for high resistance (on the temp sensor wire) or the temp sensor wire for a break. 

Temp sensors for the gauge don’t typically die, and if they do, they won’t work then not work and work again. It’ll go - false reading, worse false reading then dead, if it’s going to show any symptoms. 

Cheers 

Bennie

I replaced the coolant temp sending unit but sure enough found that the single spade connector was barely hanging on by a thread which is probably why i get intermittent readings. Is this wire easy to find a replacement for or should I attempt to splice a new single spade connector onto the existing wire. 

Also I resealed my thermostat housing with a paper gasket lightly coated in thermostat specific RTV and the f*cker started leaking again first from the back side and then from the bolts. Pointers on what I should do different are appreciated. 

Thanks!

Lee

Get a similar thickness piece of wire, splice on to get length, add a 1/4"  connector.  Splice and use heat shrink on the joint.  I clean the Flux off, then put a little rtv on the area, slide the shrink over it.  Shrink it, the rtv will set and make it more water tight than just dry.

If you have a scrap / spare harness,  any of the connectors that use the 1/4" contacts will work.   You can make a release tool from one of the metal strips.on the side of windshield wiper refill blades.

• 2 weeks later...

So I spliced a new disconnect on to the temp sender wire and my gauge reads until I hit a certain temp and the light goes away(digi dash). Im considering an aftermarket sensor and gauge. Any other tips would be awesome. 

Thanks!!

Lee