Ultimate Subaru Message Board

seeking to buy an outback. ???? & suggestions?

Hello Subaru friends, 

I drive a 2005 outback that has been developing some problems over time.  I consider the car to be in good shape.  I had the head gaskets and spark plugs replaced in the past 3-4 years.  I just had tie rods replaced and new rear breaks.  There are a couple of issues like cruise control is out and the horn doesn't work.  I think air bags are also out. Tires are maybe two years old at the most.  It has 197k miles right now. 

The first question is what the value might be for a trade in? I'm hoping for 3k.  

2nd. question is are there particular years to avoid due to some kind of known problems.  I'm looking at a 2013 with 82k miles for around $11k.  I like the car but am a little concerned with its age; I'd like to get a car that is no more than 5 or 6 years old. Although with an outback that may not be an issue. 

I'm just curious if anybody here has any suggestions or thoughts as I enter the market more earnestly.  

Thanks for your sharing!  Happy New Year!! 

For 2013, watch for issues with that CVT transmission. The FB25 engine shouldn’t have as many headgasket issues as the EJ25, and has a timing chain, but a few 2013’s has high oil consumption issues( more common on 2011 and 2014’s)

• Like 1

gritle,

If you have the resources, seek out a 2015 or newer. I say this because of the lack of issues that I've seen come up from these years since I've been a forum member.

Personally I've had one of each generation of OBW since 1997 (the 97, a 2002, a 2007, a 2012, and my present 2017) and other than one wheel bearing, a door speaker, several headlight bulbs, brakes, wiper blades, tires and oil changes, they have all been trouble free with no major issues on any of them.

Keep in mind that the owners who don't have any mechanical issues don't post on forums saying how great and trouble free their cars are. Only the people with issues post seeking help for one thing or another. And don't let anyone tell you that the CVT's are junk, because they are not. They are just different, and work well. Subies aren't perfect ... but they are at the top of the pile when it comes to resale and reliability. My wife is in the market shortly to replace her Lexus ES350 ... with a Subaru Forester. Retired for several years now, she is tired of trying to climb up hill to get out of the sedan.

For my money, you can't go too far wrong purchasing a subie, from a cost consideration, to fuel efficiency, to safety, resale, and livibilty. Good Luck in your search!

3.6R with the high-torque CVT. Or stick with the 10-12 models with the 6 speed manual. The older non HT CVT is trouble - subject to a 100k extended warranty campaign. Early FB's had piston ring problems unless the short block was replaced by Subaru - class action lawsuit forced a 100k warranty on these also.

GD

• Like 1

If you live in a rust prone state or buying from dealers who source from rust free states (steady stream supply source and volume are primary concerns), then aim for newer.  If rust isn’t an issue then age is largely immaterial. 

i suggest to friends an H6, or 2015/16 or newer due to the previous mentioned items as well as valve spring issues on early Crossteks...etc  

But I’m not sure when the cut off dates are for oil control rings and CVTs, and valve spring issues - so I’ll look more closely at years once someone I’m helping decides on a model and year. 

I'm in Minnesota so I guess that would be a rust prone state.  

THANK YOU! for the comments and insights.  I think 2015 or newer should be in reach.  I'd like that over 2013.  I understand most cars have a 10yr. avg life expectancy yet not that case with Subarus although I'd still like to have something that is 4-5 years older vs older than that.  

AT any rate, the feedback and suggestions are great thanks again!