Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to tell an EA82 and XT6 clutch kit apart - is this an EA82 or XT6 kit?

Is this an EA82 or XT6 clutch kit?  It's 225 mm or 8 7/8" which is EA82/XT6 specs.

I googled USMB but didn't see a way to differentiate them except the step difference on the flywheel - does that transcribe into a difference I can measure on the pressure plate?

It came in a Rhino Pac 15-009 XT6 labelled box. 

Anyone know?

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

1 minute ago, Numbchux said:

AFAIK, the only difference was clamping force on the pressure plate. And most aftermarket companies have superseded them to the same replacement.

Hmm, over the years forum members discussed machining EA82 flywheels to accept XT6 clutches...does that imply there's a difference in the clutches?   This kit has Japan stamped on the parts and is 15 years old (maybe more), so if current offerings are one-size-fits-all, this may not be?

4 hours ago, idosubaru said:

Hmm, over the years forum members discussed machining EA82 flywheels to accept XT6 clutches...does that imply there's a difference in the clutches?   This kit has Japan stamped on the parts and is 15 years old (maybe more), so if current offerings are one-size-fits-all, this may not be?

I remember discussion about that. I used aftermarket Beck/Arnley clutch kits designed for the XT6 (different part number than EA82) on unmodified EA82 flywheels 3 times with great results.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Numbchux said:

I remember discussion about that. I used aftermarket Beck/Arnley clutch kits designed for the XT6 (different part number than EA82) on unmodified EA82 flywheels 3 times with great results.

I remember you saying that...you mentioned taking them out later and looking fine I think.

Maybe aftermarket split the difference and "XT6" kits were still suitable for EA82.  I'll slap this thing up to an XT6 flywheel when I get home and see what it looks like.