Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy Outback struts on a Forester SF

Hello all 

I find myself in a predicament; I have a set of new KYB 96-99 Leggy Outback struts and simply wish to know if they will happily install on a Forester SF.

I was buying a Legacy I but it looks likely to fall through.
The other option open to us right now is another Forester, but I have these struts, a clutch set etc. for the Legacy, sitting on the shelf.

I am aware that Forester struts are commonly mounted on Legacies, but is it unknown to install Outback struts in the Foresters, and what would be the effect?

Thanks for your help

D00B71D4-96E5-4FBC-B242-913170BDBB95.jpeg.f7508e12ee17444c317bf1db3171a24f.jpeg

Clutch will fit any NA Subaru EJ equipped vehicle. 

In my L series I’m running a Gen1 EJ22 with Gen1 flywheel, excedy clutch kit running a slightly modified phase two forester gearbox. 

My sister’s Gen3 RX Liberty with EJ251 is running a Gen2 EJ22 solid flywheel with the stock Gen3 clutch setup. 

It’s all lego! 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys

@4Flats I am always looking at the possibility of a lift!

So I am still in the market for a new (old) Subaru, new possibilities keep showing up....

Like a gen 3 Legacy station wagon with dual range?

lowish miles, it has the 125hp 2.0 with manual, and I have a spare 2.2 just in case.

Waddya think?

3EBADDCA-3B70-4B3C-B225-48263F54E9CE.jpeg.f5040465a6adeb2e716678a9b3d3fafa.jpegE00DDE6D-FADA-4718-BD3F-BCE7967EFDFA.jpeg.99be2d984c67c6553d61a12363ab066d.jpeg

Now about those LegOB struts.....

Thanks

The rear struts won’t fit the Gen3, the rear end setup was changed on the Gen3 to a spring on shock setup. 

If you can, go the RX 2.5 litre version of this model, goes ace! 

The Gen3 runs a phase 2 engine, the EJ22 is a phase1 engine. You could swap the phase 2 heads onto the EJ22 and run the 22 that way. 

I reckon the Gen 1 and Gen 3 platforms are the best that Subaru produced in the Liberty/Legacy’s. That said, I haven’t ventured much beyond the Gen3... 

One thing to look out for is leaking HGs - typically seen on the LHS of the engine, the leak is oil externally from the no pressure oil return galleries. Replace with MLS genuine head gaskets ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Thanks 1

Bennie - if you go look up the part numbers, the 334166-167 ARE the shock/spring type, which is why they will not work on a Forester.

I had a hard time finding any info on those two part numbers on the KYB USA site, but since he is in Spain, different market.. they would probably fit that pretty blue wagon very nicely.

• Thanks 1

Hi guys

- thanks for the replies. I now remember that the 3rd gen has the integrated rear hub carrier and single-bolt struts. 
As it goes I am not going for a Legacy s there is very little availability here, so the top candidates are a ‘00 Forester SF facelift or a ‘02 Impreza wagon.

The 334166-7 struts are the correct and only available KYB (Europe) numbers for the Legacy Outback 96-99. I initially bought them for my gen 2 Legacy sedan. That isn’t happening now.

From what I have gathered (lots of trawling the forums) there is no problem fitting Forester SF struts on a gen2 Legacy (gen1 OB) with either Forester or Legacy springs, so I ASSume that these OB struts should therefore fit a Forester SF using the correct strut tops etc.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thx

if it is an actual strut, then it may fit ok, but if it is more of a shock type, then no

here in the USA, from what I understand, Forester has a slightly longer spring, and the spring perch is set at a different level than the Outback version, otherwise the overall length is pretty much the same.

The standard Legacy versions are shorter, with shorter springs, so you may have fitment issues with the springs.

After all the humming and haa-ing I am grtting a ‘00 Forester 2.0. 

It’ll accept the Legacy OB struts, but using the Forester springs and hardware.

There will not be a noticeable difference in ride height, but the difference will be felt in the fact that the OB struts are new, and not 20 years old!

On 1/8/2020 at 1:44 PM, heartless said:

if it is an actual strut, then it may fit ok, but if it is more of a shock type, then no

here in the USA, from what I understand, Forester has a slightly longer spring, and the spring perch is set at a different level than the Outback version, otherwise the overall length is pretty much the same.

The standard Legacy versions are shorter, with shorter springs, so you may have fitment issues with the springs.

Thanks for your thoughts.
the 334166-7 KYB are strut only, looking very much like the forester ‘00 struts, though I have not compared them side-to-size yet. KYB specifically stated in an email that these are the correct available part for a 96-99 Outback. There are other number struts which are no longer available.

I understood that Forester struts fit a Legacy/Outback (up to Legacy II / Outback I) with the correct tops, and the springs are essentially interchangeable  -  The springs on our ‘99 and ‘00 Foresters, and ‘97 Legacy are not tapered, and all have the same diameter. 
I therefore assume that the longer-than-Legacy ‘Legacy Outback’ struts are compatible on an SF Forester, and if using the Forester’s springs and tops should maintain a similar ride height, and furthermore give slightly more rear tire clearance to the spring perch than the original SF rear strut.

Here’s hoping when I start to pull the forester apart....