Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fire! But not out the exhaust...

So, my engine is all together, put in the car and there still is a problem.

I have the timing set to 8 degrees past B.  

I checked it and it isn't 180 degrees off.

Every time I try to start it fire and fuel shoots out the carb.  It won't try to start.

I have:

Compression

Spark

Fuel

Any idea what is going on?

Ok, so I know I'm not the smartest person out there but that almost sounds like the timing is advanced rather than retarded, which would cause your problem as well. Maybe its just the way I read it.

The problem will most likely be the plug wires, I made this mistake myself the first time. Number 1 & 3 cylinders are on the passanger side (LHD models) and 2 & 4 are on the drivers side. With the firing order being 1324, it fires both cylinders on the right side in sequence and then the same for cylinders 2 & 4.

Cheers,

Al

Update:

Distributor was 180 off.  I had a cam and spun it as I watched the valves to see what order stuff was happening in.  

I had swapped it before, but this may have been too much and I couldn't find my chalk line on the timing mark.

Changed it to fire right and the Brat tried to start when I cranked it over to check the mark again.

Thank you GeneralDisorder.

• Like 2