Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 OB 195K leaking ps pump replace or reseal?

It's not the o-ring on the top of the pump. That was replaced two years ago. Can't quite see the leak. Reservoir was near empty and the top of the engine had fluid pooling in recesses behind the pump.

If I don't repair/reseal, is there a decent aftermarket to consider?

Genuine is pricey.

Also, anyone have a link to FS manual?

Edited by brus brother

I would get a used one from a pull and pay yard if you have one close to you.  Aftermarket rebuilt units seem to be of dubious quality based on others comments in previous posts.  At some point Subaru stopped selling rebuild kits but I don't recall which years are affected.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tylertrend said:

You can get quality rebuild kits for about $30 and they are pretty easy to do. Did a couple of '99 Outbacks a while back and it's an easy DIY. You do not want that fluid leaking over the TB covers for much longer. 

I don’t think 05s have rebuild kits.  99 is simpler than 05s and has fewer overall issues.  05 power steering pumps are garbage and replacement options are still worse than OEM  

theres a cheap option on amazon right now with a few good reviews. I bought one - it leaked and steering comes and goes and they sent another one. I just got it and and haven’t swapped it yet. If this one works, then great. If not then OEM used or new is next.

14 minutes ago, Mike104 said:

I would get a used one from a pull and pay yard if you have one close to you.  Aftermarket rebuilt units seem to be of dubious quality based on others comments in previous posts.  At some point Subaru stopped selling rebuild kits but I don't recall which years are affected.

No yards nearby and could end up with another failure in the near future. I'll check dealer for rebuild kit.

10 minutes ago, tylertrend said:

You can get quality rebuild kits for about $30 and they are pretty easy to do. Did a couple of '99 Outbacks a while back and it's an easy DIY. You do not want that fluid leaking over the TB covers for much longer. 

style changed in 04.

4 minutes ago, idosubaru said:

I don’t think 05s have rebuild kits.  99 is simpler than 05s and has fewer overall issues.  05 power steering pumps are garbage and replacement options are still worse than OEM  

theres a cheap option on amazon right now with a few good reviews. I bought one - it leaked and steering comes and goes and they sent another one. I just got it and and haven’t swapped it yet. If this one works, then great. If not then OEM used or new is next.

Steering is still solid on mine. Let me know if the Grease Gods are good to you this time around. What brand are you buying?

Anyone have a link to FSM?

I never had any problems with the Cardone brand, reman or new. They list different pumps for the 2.5 and 3.0.

For our 97 RHD Legacy I bought seals for the rack and pump. I was adding a lot of fluid every two days. Sometimes it was below the strainer. I missed checking it once and it got low and ruined the pump. I got one from a local yard that worked good. I think it was 25 bucks. I think it was lmdew mentioned TransX so I tried it. Now I only add about half an inch every week for the leak in the rack. That's around 600 miles.

Take your pick for the FSM.

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/

https://sl-i.net/FORUM/showthread.php?18087-Subaru-Factory-Service-Manuals-

• Like 1