Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electric cooling fan

Electric cooling fan died a few days ago. I bypassed the thermoswitch and it worked. So I decided it was a bad switch. Since its so friggin hot here I decided to just let it go like that and have it running all the time. That lasted for three days. Now theres no power getting to the wiring that goes to the switch. No blown fuses. Stuck relay? If so, which relay is the one for the fan. Any other ideas? Is there maybe another fuse that I am unaware of?

Yes, I know I can wire the fan directly. I would like to get it back to working as closely to the way its supposed to as possible.

Thanks.

FLOW: What is that funny little vacume canister behind tehf an relay? Nice to know finally what that fuse and relay there is fore! Now I just wanna know what the heck that funny little canister behind it is.

I wired my fan up just like that diagram from Skip. I eventually just threw the relay in the garbage and wired it up directly to the switch. That got rid of A LOT of extra wires. I figure if the system surges the switch will go out; no big deal =P just get another cheap switch. Havent had a problem yet powred directly from the battery to switch to fan. If the alternator voltage regulator goes bad I might have a toasted switch on my hands tho! lol

FLOW: What is that funny little vacume canister behind tehf an relay? Nice to know finally what that fuse and relay there is fore! Now I just wanna know what the heck that funny little canister behind it is.

I'm pretty sure the vac can is for the heater controls. Let me bust out the FSM again to double check.