Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Amplifier installation on 2002 Subaru Legacy

Recently taken interest in installing a amp in my legacy. This car had a factory amp under the drivers seat which blew due to the headunit having its own amp in it. I’ve redirected all of the speaker wire into the plug that would normally plug into the amp so the speakers can keep going. I have an external amp in the trunk than it all hooked up with power rca etc but it still won’t work. Do I need to attach it to something under the drivers seat? I’m stumped any help is welcome

On 1/8/2020 at 1:09 PM, Markissbolo said:

I’ve redirected all of the speaker wire into the plug that would normally plug into the amp so the speakers can keep going.

When you say this, do you mean you did a passthru under the seat? or that you ran your speaker wires for your new amp to behind the head unit? 

If you have a factory amp for your car - the speakers will all go to the amp, not the deck.
If you ran your after market amp wires to behind your deck (to the would-be speaker wires) you werent actually driving your speakers by your amp. 

What you'll want to do is check the wire diagram. If you have a factory amp, Likely you will have 4 sets of wires (Front L/R and Rear L/R) from the deck to the amp, then (from the amp) you will have another 4 sets of wires (Front L/R and Rear L/R) that are outputting from the amp to the actual speakers themselves. Those wires (on the harness side, NOT the amp side) that are going to the speakers are going to be where you actually want to attach your amp wires to. The 4 sets fo wires that are going from the Deck TO the amp - you will want to use those leads (harness side) FROM the deck to drive your amp - Hi-input - NOT RCA. If you do want to do RCA you will want to get a line converter to go from High Input to Low input. otherwise you will clip. 

-Justin