Ultimate Subaru Message Board

to your question... not sure but it does look like a broken weld.

Seems structural but as a temporary fix to quiet things down try high heat furnace caulk. It's about $9 a tube at Home Depot. LINK or one for $12 I used at  Lowes LINK

Clean it as best as you can and apply caulk, perhaps embedding fiberglass cloth into the repair?

Edited by brus brother

Same thing happened several years ago on our 95 RHD 472k miles. I can see part of the flange rusted and blew away.

It can be fixed with a two piece flange like in the picture. I don't remember the pipe size. I had to get a spring and bolt kit and a new doughnut gasket. I think I had to get two different kits, one for the right size bolt and one for the right size spring.

Most local auto parts stores that carry exhaust should have these.

Flange clamp.jpg

2 hours ago, StephenA said:

Good to know. Thank you.

a shop here welds that for $45 for the typical subaru breaks there.  but most local shops (and i totally understand why) quote hundreds or 4 digits to replace the entire exhaust .  you have to call or ask around for the guys willing to just toss it up on the lift for 30 minutes of welding and call it a day.   it might be harder if you're in the PNW, around here every normal daily driver has this happen so it's common. 

I use the bolt on flanges then when there's not enough of that left I attach springs to pull it forwards like an old-school 2-stroke motorcycle exhaust.

I had the bell shaped end flange break off once and I hammered a short piece of pipe into a bell shape and slid that on.

Never give up never surrender!

• 2 months later...