Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine just stops while going down the road.

I drive a 2005 outback  its got 197000 miles on it. Within the past 12 months, there have been three times when the engine just straight up stopped and the car shut down. I had bumped the gear into neutral   Once while driving down the highway at about 65 or so miles an hour I had bumped the gear into neutral and it stopped.  I was able to use the breaks and pull to the side, stopped and started the car again.  I drove the rest of my way with no problem. That was last Jan or Feb.  Then in November, the engine stopped when I turned off a highway.  there seemed to be a bump in the road but nothing that happened in the car.  A third time this happened in December.  There was a rattling sound so I jiggled my leys with the back of my hand and the engine stopped and car shutoff.  I was again able to pull over, stop and start the car with no issue.  

Has anything like this happened to anybody else? Is this a concern or just some flukes from bumping into neutral and rattling the keys?

I'm not too worried I'll just be sure not to bump anything again I guess. 

Thanks. 

Edited by gritle

Since this is a random problem, I think I would swap the Ignition Switch first. 26 bucks at RockAuto, why not.

The problem could be anything, like the Main relay, or a corroded contact in a plug somewhere and to find that would take some time.

05 Outback ign sw.jpg