Ultimate Subaru Message Board

P0026 code after an oil change

So I just did the oil on my wife's Forester over the last weekend and after doing it it started sputtering/shuttering when you let off the gas. Never got a code just acted weird. Welp, it finally threw a code - P0026. It was running fine up until the oil change.

What are the odds that it the Pressure switch that the code refers to? I also noticed that i topped it off a bit too much on the oil - I was thinking maybe draining a bit out?

Thoughts? 2009 Forester 200k.

-Justin

I do have an oil leak but its the HG/Valve covers. the AVLS do you mean the pressure switch that the code refers? Looks like theres one by the oil spout and a matching one on the Passenger Side?

Edit: The sensor that the P0026 refers to is "Intake Valve Control Solenoid". GD, i see that part is all of 2 bucks - i'll def. look into replacing it alongside. Any thoughts on the Valve control solenoid? 

-Justin

20 minutes ago, crazyman03 said:

I do have an oil leak but its the HG/Valve covers. the AVLS do you mean the pressure switch that the code refers? Looks like theres one by the oil spout and a matching one on the Passenger Side?

Edit: The sensor that the P0026 refers to is "Intake Valve Control Solenoid". GD, i see that part is all of 2 bucks - i'll def. look into replacing it alongside. Any thoughts on the Valve control solenoid? 

-Justin

Replace the pressure switch.  They're $20-$30 from Subaru and super easy - but don't over tighten them or you'll crack the receiving end threads. 
Yes the code references the solenoid, which is adjacent to the switch.  Replace the switch first.

The switch is a just a one wire harness plug and it screws into the engine directly. that's the part you want to buy and replace. 
The solenoids are held down by a 10mm bolt and are like $150-$250 from Subaru. These fail much less frequently than the switches, so it's not a good guess to blindly replace them.

The code is often remedied by the oil switch - additionally it's only $20 instead of $200, easy to replace, and they're prone to hemorrhage oil all over the engine bay so it's just smart to replace them first or even preventatively.   So there's almost no reason to not replace it unless you're competing for the guiness book of world records for being frugal. 

If that doesn't work - then test or replace the solenoid...after making sure you don't have rodent wiring damage, prior accident in that area damaging connectors or wiring, or it wasn't a shipped replacement engine (which are prone to having those solenoids and respective harnesses damaged during shipment due to location). 

If you still have a question - reread this post.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, crazyman03 said:

Understood. I'll try the Pressure switch first then the solenoid if needed. 

So you think that the fact that i have a bit too much oil in there is likely unrelated? 

-Justin

You know it's overfilled so you can correct it easy enough, drain or remove some oil, maybe it's frothing and bubbles in the oil reduce the efficacy of the switch.   dump the contexts of the oil filter a couple of times, that's easier than trying to drain via the plug without dumping too much. 

Overfilled Subaru's don't get that code.  The code is routinely fixed by replacing the switch.  If overfilling freaked those switches out then two codes would be likely, not one. So my guess is it's not related to the oil change.  or I would guess it's more likely that the oil change precipitated the failure of an already compromised switch. 

You can diagnose via the FSM or swap sensors from passengers to drivers side and see if the code moves with the sensor or stays in the same location. 

That being said - you didn't say how overfilled. if you dumped in 10 quarts... 

lol not 10 quarts - no. 

Since it has leaked a bit i topped it with maybe an extra half quart or so. Rookie, sure but since it leaks a bit i wanted a bit more time before i had to top it off. It doesnt leak a whole lot but never had a problem topping it off a bit like that

-Justin

8 hours ago, crazyman03 said:

lol not 10 quarts - no. 

Since it has leaked a bit i topped it with maybe an extra half quart or so. Rookie, sure but since it leaks a bit i wanted a bit more time before i had to top it off. It doesnt leak a whole lot but never had a problem topping it off a bit like that

-Justin

Ah.  1/2 quart is nothing and entirely benign.

Good job. What you’re describing is common, keep checking and topping off just like you’re doing, oil loss over time isn’t a big deal if kept topped off and many oil leaks don’t progress quickly or cause immediate concern.

I would take a peak so I know what it is.  Probably valve cover or head gaskets  on that car.

Yeah, I figure its HG - I'm just not looking forward to doing it. I think i have a bit of rod-knock chatter so i'm debating just pulling it and doing an overhaul. She needs timing done so with all of the above i might as well make a party out of it. @ShawnW, you wanna take a "crack" at my motor? lol I've heard bad things about splitting the block and not mating it right again.

-Justin

13 hours ago, idosubaru said:

Why do you say rod knock?

When you "get on it" and the engine revs down - it'll rattle. I've had rod knock before on another vehicle, it sounds the same.

GD, I didnt think of going that route - I'll defiantly keep that in mind. Rock auto has a whole longblock for 2600 after core, maybe worth going that route and getting the whole thing reman'd? 

-Justin

2 hours ago, crazyman03 said:

When you "get on it" and the engine revs down - it'll rattle. I've had rod knock before on another vehicle, it sounds the same.

GD, I didnt think of going that route - I'll defiantly keep that in mind. Rock auto has a whole longblock for 2600 after core, maybe worth going that route and getting the whole thing reman'd? 

-Justin

doubt i'd run that. i'd be hesitant to trust that product and long distance warranty.

• Like 1