Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Freeze plug replacement walk thrpugh

Hello everyone. Accidentially let the protection on my coolant drop too low and had a couple cold nights pop the freeze plugs on my Subie. Motor starts and runs fine, as long as coolant is in the vehicle. Need some guidance on R&R for the freeze plugs. Never done them before, so as much detail as possible would be appreciate. 

TIA

They are on the top of the heads.   If you have EA82 engine....   Have to at least take off the cam covers to maybe see them.  To get at them, might have to remove the carriers also.

I have never tested them with cold temps and water.  Don't remember reading anyone having to deal with them either.

If the Welch/freeze plug have popped out your engine wouldn’t run as it would be full of coolant. You oil will be mixed with coolant. 

What makes you think you’ve popped these plugs out and that it’s not another coolant loss issue? The radiator would be more likely to crack before the block was effected. 

I think more investigating is needed. 

Cheers 

Bennie

On 1/10/2020 at 2:59 PM, el_freddo said:

If the Welch/freeze plug have popped out your engine wouldn’t run as it would be full of coolant. You oil will be mixed with coolant. 

What makes you think you’ve popped these plugs out and that it’s not another coolant loss issue? The radiator would be more likely to crack before the block was effected. 

I think more investigating is needed. 

Cheers 

Bennie

El_freddo, excellent instincts. Upon closer inspection I found a damaged hose, a little L shaped number from the throttle body back to the coolant line. Replaced that and things seem to be working properly. Appreciate the guidance everyone. 

2 hours ago, 4loyales said:

El_freddo, excellent instincts. Upon closer inspection I found a damaged hose, a little L shaped number from the throttle body back to the coolant line. Replaced that and things seem to be working properly. Appreciate the guidance everyone. 

Thanks mate, not instincts - experience after buying a brumby “that just stopped onthe way to work”. Popped Welch plug filled the content of the cooling system into the engine. We got 20L of water oil and sludge out of the little EA81. 

This is what we found once the heads were removed: 

1fnw.jpg 

One welch plug dropped out. 

Cheers 

Bennie