Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey all, I'll try and keep this concise as possible. I currently have an '01 Forester as my first Subaru. Bought it for cheap with 200k+ miles as a winter car but have fallen in love with it and am looking to replace it with another subaru once it bites the dust. Can't decide between generation and model and need help narrowing it down. Budget will be about 8-10k for a used (~100k) model with head gaskets already done

Priorities;

Good offroad performance with a 2" lift and bigger tires (I know forester is more agile, but by how much?)

Reliable engine; Which engine should I be looking at? Bad head gaskets until 2011(?) and then questionable rings until 2015 from what I understand.

General reliability; any difference between the two as far as other known issues? Wheel bearings/tranny/clutch/axles etc.?

Cheers y'all. happy to finally be aboard the Subaru train 

If you’re in rust prone areas lean towards newer over miles, etc. 

Another option - look for one that needs headgaskets and have them done on your watch.  Can get a better deal and better end product.  Then you can verify reputable shop, warranty,Subaru gaskets, heads resurfaced, valve cover gaskets, plugs, PCV valve, complete Subaru timing kit and you’ve got a good 100,000 mile maintenance free engine.

$3,000-$4,000 car then $3k-$4k for work and you’re in budget.

6 hours ago, uniberp1 said:

Get one that doesn't have any rod-knock/piston slap. Check the oil.

two completely different things there..

Rod knock is bad, without a doubt.

Piston slap is pretty much totally benign. yes, it sounds like a$$, but is harmless. Most noticeable when engine is cold (cold weather makes it sound even worse). Once warmed up it goes away - rod knock will not.

• Like 1