Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Distributor for Carb/ No Computer 1990 Loyale

Hey All,

We completed the weber conversion, (re: Ideas on Swapping a weber carb on EA82s) for the 1990 loyale, which entails unplugging the sensors. We did this because replacement sensors for 1990 fuel injected loyale are unavailable, and are looking for a long term fix.

Now the new distributor we have will not work without the computer, and according to summit racing, cardone doesn't make one that will work with points.

Is it possible to bypass the need for communicating with the computer, with this distributor (cardone part number 31-850 )?

If not, is there any other work around to get the distributor to do what its supposed to do, i.e., another way for it to receive the right signal?

No. The distributor is just an optical pickup. It has no ability to trigger the ignition coil. You need a carb distributor and matching coil. 

What you should have done is just go to a LINK standalone and use whatever sensors you like for the FI. This would have retained the fuel injection and gave it universal compatibility with a HUGE variety of sensors. 

GD

The "computer" on carby gls are really just a fuel pump controller for priming before starting, and stopping the fuel flow if the engine stalls or in an accident. It's 6 pins under the dash and like General Disorder stated has nothingto do with the ignition. With your loyale you should be able to get whatever function you need from the ecu harness and hardwire to the proper circuit on the fuse box or to a switch or relay.

Dunno if the turbo disty is different which is pathetic cause I have an ea82t. I don't think there is any major diff b/w turbo and n/a distributors.

It's easily bypassed and if you need another disty, I have a handful of those somewhere. I understand that the module is the only important and hard to find part of the ignition on those electronic carburetor/single point f.i. years.

Edited by sparkyboy