Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mounted gauges in dash of RX (pictures DUW)

I had my gauges mounted in the pocket below the radio and didn't like looking away from the road to check things; felt clunky.

Took the dash out of the turbo wagon and checked the depth against the Autometer Boost and A/F gauges, looked to be enough room. With a lot of help from my trusty Dremel and 3 tries, got them to fit. Had to reroute all the wires and the pressure line.

23gauges_in_dash_panel_003-med.jpg

Going to rewire the rear defrost switch into one of the blanks lower on the same side.

23gauges_in_dash_panel_007-med.jpg

Guess this is a good of a reason as any to clean the inside of the car. That's next.

Much easier to see while driving. Don't like the reflection from the sun and haven't driven the car at night. I'm hoping the A/F gauge flickering LEDs aren't going to be a distraction, We'll see.

Regards,

Jay

Nice, thats where I was thinking of mounting some in my RX, seems the best spot to keep them in the dash (not on it, or god forbid on the A pillar) and easy to see at speed.

Gary

P.S. How much boost are you running and what does your A/F read when you're on boost?

Thanks for the compliments. I used the turbowagon dash so I have the original dash if I need it. Took a few tries to line up the gauges with the plastic surround. The pain was taking the dash apart and rerouting the lines and wires.

Didn't quite get the top gauge centered in the surround like I wanted, but after the third try with the plastic I said "Good Enough!" and put it all back together.

All Talk: Running factory boost until I get my FMIC hooked up. When I am in the boost the gauge registers on the rich side. Can't recall the range of the gauge ottomh.

Archemitis: what car were you running the gauges? Got a picture? I think the older EA82 cars would be easier to mount gauges in this spot.

One more picture.

23gauges_in_dash_panel_002-med.jpg

Regards,

Jay