Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 loyale no power to anything except horn and hazard button

Thank you! It was the fusible link. Luckily I had another car to take them off of. The engine now cranks but It’s not getting any fuel. I checked the firewall filter, no fuel, and that led me to the pump. I haven’t pulled that but it doesn’t make any noise when key is engaged.  Going to swap it with my donor car and see if that fixes it. 

The stock pumps get stuck if they are allowed to be dry.  Don't have enough tourque to self free.   There is no way to get at the moving parts without cutting the case open.

I just had a thought. ....  I'll have to try on one tomorrow. ...  hit it with a pulse of higher voltage from a capacitor.  There is a chance that might work.

I can not find a wiring harness diagram for your car, so I don't know about yours, but on our 95 Legacy RHD the fuse block is located on the right side under the dash and the Fuel Pump relay and Main relay clip into brackets above the fuse block. They have their own 4 pin connectors. Left Hand Drive may be on the other side.

I got a pump un stuck.  Didn't take as much as I thought it might, but this could vary depending on how crummy the fuel was, etc...
10,000uF charged to 15V connected to the pump with less than 2 feet of total wire.  [Low resistance is part of how to get a big impulse of energy in a short time]  This pump didn't run when I had tested it with straight 12V a year or so ago.

Using the capacitor, I could have gone to 24, 36, or even higher.  The shortness of the pulse would limit the heat to avoid burning out a winding,  But the short burst of higher voltage would give it a bigger kick of torque momentarily.

• Like 1

Great. Those relays seldom go bad, but time takes its toll.

Was the relay round? Those handle more current.

One time the fuel pump quit on our 95 when my wife was near the end of her mail route. I grabbed my spare and found her. When I removed the supply hose there was a lot of pressure and I thought I wonder, so I tightened the clamp and it started, so she finished the route and I replaced the pump when she got home. It seems the pump did not want to start under pressure.