Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2010 Forester...Can’t bleed brakes...ABS module

I have a 2010 Forester X Premium that I had to take the entire ABS module out of (and, of course, remove all the lines off of) to do some fab work after hitting a deer. Now I can’t get my brakes to work!!! Have tried doing hard stops to trick the ABS into cycling, have bled the brakes multiple times both per Subaru recommendation and the traditional “furthest to closest” method. All the lines running to the brakes are fine. There’s gotta be air in the ABS module and I cannot figure out how to get rid of it without taking it to the dealership and having them use their $1000 scanner to activate the solenoids. I’ve tried finding that connector under the dash but can’t find it :(. Someone please help...whose got a fix for this?

All I can say is keep pumping the pedal and bleeding. They want you to do the rear first because when you push the pedal the rear engages before the front.

The required amount of brake fluid is approximately 500 m2 (16.9 US fl oz, 17.6 Imp fl oz) for the entire brake system.

That is a lot of fluid to pump through the system.

You’re fine - just bleed them waaaaay more. I’m talking 64 ounces of fluid sometimes   I’ve seen 32 ounces not be enough.  Just keep going.

When that much is drained and introduces air throughout the entire system, it can take way more fluid to drain them than other brake work.