Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ swap question with start up

Hey everyone...

I am in the final stages of my swap, only thing left is the electric hookup.

We have got everything we can think of hooked up. ECU had power for both standby and ignition, fuel pump turns on, but not spark when it turns over. Also have bypassed the clutch switch inhibitor. 

Is there something specific needed to hook up to enable the coil packs? Anything else that we can test? Cant think of what is limiting this at the moment. I suspect that it is something simple, any insight would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Engine is from a 91 legacy into an 82 brat.

Edited by bratboy1

I have not worked on the older Subarus, but I have worked on a ton of older vehicles. What we have is in the mid 90's, all RHD Legacys.

One more question. Did you get the Ignitor from the 91?

The ignitor is mounted at the center of the firewall where the support arm goes to the bellhousing. The ECU gets signals from the cam and crank sensors, then sends signals to the Ignitor, from it they go to the coil. The Ignitor is basically high power transistors that handles the high current load of switching the coil instead of the ECU.

Unplug the connector from the coil and turn the key to IGN. Check the pins on the connector, one of them should be 12 volts.

27 minutes ago, Rampage said:

I have not worked on the older Subarus, but I have worked on a ton of older vehicles. What we have is in the mid 90's, all RHD Legacys.

One more question. Did you get the Ignitor from the 91?

The ignitor is mounted at the center of the firewall where the support arm goes to the bellhousing. The ECU gets signals from the cam and crank sensors, then sends signals to the Ignitor, from it they go to the coil. The Ignitor is basically high power transistors that handles the high current load of switching the coil instead of the ECU.

Unplug the connector from the coil and turn the key to IGN. Check the pins on the connector, one of them should be 12 volts.

Yes we got it! Haven't checked it yet but will do. Thank you!