Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adding USB ports and / or other electronics?

I just bought an 06 Impreza hatch. 3rd one and by far the cleanest one Ive owned so far.

Something I've noticed but never gave much thought to was all the "blanks" that I guess would be switches or plugs if you got certain options? Idk. By the steering wheel on the left side there is the switch for the fog lights and then 3 blanks where other switches could be. There are also 2 more blanks down on the center console.

Which brings me to my question, has anyone added USB charging ports in these spots or any other mods / electronics done in these spots? Easy to do?

I'm sure it's been done hundreds of times. There are universal usb ports all over the internet. I bought some simple ones on ebay 10 years ago and installed them in my Celica. I tapped into the power for the cigarette lighter, and cut new holes in the stereo surround to mount them.

Yea, I figured off the cigarette lighter would be the easiest. Thought about upgrading the stereo but it has a factory 6 disc changer and I just kind of like the look of all factory.

I wonder if I could hook up an aux from the back of the stereo some how. 

So what are all those blanks for? I figure the ones on the center console would be for heated seat options? What about the ones near the steering wheel?

3 hours ago, sirtokesalot said:

theres a rear view mirror heater? what wopuld that be needed for? unless your talking about the side mirrors and the switch for that is on the door.

not for heat it isnt..

on the other half's Outback (USDM), the outside mirror heat is connected to the rear defroster.. not sure about other markets, tho

On 1/22/2020 at 10:42 AM, sirtokesalot said:

theres a rear view mirror heater? what wopuld that be needed for? unless your talking about the side mirrors and the switch for that is on the door.

Yeah the side view mirrors. The JDM had them and I believe they were switched separately and self folding too. 

A mate had them on his JDM imported Outback. Bit of a wasted feature in Australia for the most part! 

Cheers 

Bennie