Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got a new notice regarding airbag recalls.

Vehicles affected... certain Legacy and Outback 2003-2014, 2003-2006 Baja, 2009-2013 Forester, 2004-2011 Impreza and 2004-2014 WRX (including STI) vehicles equipped with a non-desiccated Takata-sourced passenger-side frontal air bag containing the propellant Phase Stabilized Ammonium Nitrate

I received notice for my 05 OB today and after speaking with dealer discovered my 08 OB is also covered.

I had already had both vehicles service for the initial recall so while I couldn't get a clear response, apparently this is in addition and may relate to what was used for the initial replacement.

The first round of replacements was "interim". They replaced the airbags with the same defective Takata units (just newer) that were being removed. The Takata bags were considered more dangerous the longer they were in service and the higher the humidity of the environment they were exposed to. This second round is to replace them with permanent replacements rather than the defective original units. 

GD

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yep, GD is exactly right. We (when I worked at the dealership, over 2 years ago) started getting the truly updated ones about a month after I had the one in my '04 replaced, so I'll have to get it redone at some point.

They updated the '05-'09 part number even sooner, probably 3 years ago.