Ultimate Subaru Message Board

54 minutes ago, jonathan909 said:

I know this matter is settled (i.e. "yes") wrt the EJ25/4EAT combo, but I gather that this transmission has some differences.

So, still okay or not?

same deal.  they're basically the same transmission with different final drive and some tweaking for VDC. 

a couple times i've towed them in neutral with the engine running to circulate ATF.  not ideal or repeatable but might work in some situations. 

• Like 1

yes but requires some work. u have to unbolt the rear driveshaft from the rear diff and tie it up to the side as well as u need 2 spare preferably bad axles u can destroy and remove the hub side from the axle then remove the axles from the car and put just the axle ends into the bearings and bolt them in place so the bearings wont separate. once this is done it is safe to flat tow however far u want. if this is not done it may cause damage to transmission. a second option is to rent a tow dolly and just unbolt the rear driveshaft from the diff/tie it up to the side and dolly tow it with the front wheels off the ground and driveshaft disconnected.

Edited by sirtokesalot

40 minutes ago, sirtokesalot said:

yes but requires some work. u have to unbolt the rear driveshaft from the rear diff and tie it up to the side as well as u need 2 spare preferably bad axles u can destroy and remove the hub side from the axle then remove the axles from the car and put just the axle ends into the bearings and bolt them in place so the bearings wont separate. once this is done it is safe to flat tow however far u want. if this is not done it may cause damage to transmission. a second option is to rent a tow dolly and just unbolt the rear driveshaft from the diff/tie it up to the side and dolly tow it with the front wheels off the ground and driveshaft disconnected.

That's confusing - there's no need to do all that rear axle juggling.   Once the rear driveshaft is disconnected the rear wheels are out of the transmission equation.  Just like you mentioned towing with a tow dolly and the rear driveshaft disconnected but with no mention of rear axles there. 

u dont need to remove rear axles to flat tow but at the least have to remove rear driveshaft. front axles thogh if being flat towed yes have to come out. and u will have to have a way to keep the bearings together. however if using a dolly and only the rear tires on the ground then only need to remove rear driveshaft from diff and tie it up to the side.

54 minutes ago, sirtokesalot said:

u dont need to remove rear axles to flat tow but at the least have to remove rear driveshaft. front axles thogh if being flat towed yes have to come out. and u will have to have a way to keep the bearings together. however if using a dolly and only the rear tires on the ground then only need to remove rear driveshaft from diff and tie it up to the side.

Ah you meant front axles.  Got it, I thought you meant rears.