Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bubbling in coolant reservoir

I know the answer. But let’s hear the options.... 92 loyale over heated, replaced thermostat, flushed and bled the cooling system, parked it on a steep hill and burped it. Radiator builds and holds pressure (for three days) and coolant reservoir bubbles when running.. what’s the options.

El Freddo covered the options.

IF you check the coolant in the radiator and the tank before every drive, and top them off, you might get to drive it [short drives only.. 15-30 minutes.] for another few days to another few months.  It will get worse, until it completely blows the head gaskets.

If you are lucky it will just be the head gasket. A family member owned mine before me and I knew it had been overheated before and was why it was parked. When I pulled the original engine out of my 90, and swapped what I needed to over to the donor, I took the time to pull the original apart and see if I could use it as an extra drop in engine or atleast for parts. What I found was that on one of the heads, when it overheated it also successfully put a hairline fracture between two of the valves and was literally pumping compression into the coolant. It did that same bubbling you are talking about. Hopefully it isn't that severe for you.

4 hours ago, DaveT said:

A small crack between the intake and exhaust valves is normal.  Nearly all of them have it.  All of mine have it.   There was a service bullitin about it years ago.

I think that was only for the EA81s and EJs.  From what I remember cracks between valves on EA82s (especially the turbos) was a death sentence.  @GeneralDisorder any thoughts on that?

Unbolt and drop the exhaust manifold down and make sure there’s no signs of coolant leaks into the exhaust.  This is what happens if the cracks are bad and extend into the exhaust.  But this isn’t likely on nonturbo engines which weren’t abused or had ignored overheating.  Normally, replace headgaskets and move along. I’ve seen countless dozens of cracks, I’m sure it happens but I’ve never seen a non-turbo EA or ER head crack all the way through. 

19 hours ago, carfreak85 said:

I think that was only for the EA81s and EJs.  From what I remember cracks between valves on EA82s (especially the turbos) was a death sentence.

Nah, EA82s and ER27s crack and are benign, not EJs.

• Like 1