Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Junking a couple subies, what to keep?

I have a '99 Legacy Outback wagon and a 2001 four-door Impreza, both with blown head gaskets.  The Impreza is smashed on the passenger side, really not worth fixing, the Legacy has no title, really not worth fixing.  I also have a 2002 Outback wagon and a pair of '96 Legacy wagons, one an Outback and one not.

The two junkers are going to get stripped and go to the junkyard.  I'll keep what I can use, and sell what I cannot.  That leads to my questions:

Will the front clip from the '99 bolt onto either of the '96s?  I don't care about changing the appearance, but will it bolt on?  Same questions about the doors, and other body parts.

Similarly, will any of the Impreza body parts bolt onto the 2002?  Again, if they physically fit, I don't care about appearance. 

The compatibility of the mechanical stuff I can figure out, pretty much, from the Rock Auto catalog and from help you all have given me earlier. 

Thanks!

3pin, the '02 is a daily driver, looking pretty solid so far.  You probably meant the '01?  I don't think it got badly over heated.  I've had American engines get much hotter with no harm, but they weren't recycled beer cans, either.  I do plan to tear into that engine someday, and if the crank isn't scored, it'll get new head gaskets and go on sale in the local Craigslist.  It's a 2.2L, and the '02 is a 2.5L, so I don't think there will be much that interchanges besides stuff like the alternator. 

The two ''96s are both excellent machines.  The one with an automatic I've had since it was a year old - bought from a dealer it as a high-mileage program car.  That's the closest I've ever come to buying a new car.  The one with a manual I bought cheap last year from a mechanic who was tired of working on it.  It looks as if it's going to be a good one.  I think the '99s manual trans will be a spare for that one?

I'll eventually tear apart the DOHC 2.5L in the '99, too.  That one had a rod knock before it stopped running, so it's probably going to be scrap, but I'll check. 

Some day I hope to wean my wife off these teeny-tiny  go carts and get her into a diesel truck, but until I have the right truck built for her, these little subies are fun to drive and not too bad to keep running!