Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Late model REAR wheel well liners.

Could someone tell me what year and models did Subaru start adding rear wheel well liners? 2005? It seems that the cars with these liners seem to survive more winters, "rust free" vs earlier models that suffered rear shock tower rust. Are the inner liners making that much difference?

Todd

1980s XTs have them.  Do you mean a certain generation? Or a different part than I’m thinking of?

Liners and guards also trap debris and rust starts where the leaves and road debris accumulates and holds moisture against the body.  Particularly at seams, etc. 

I don’t see a huge difference in rust here but maybe that’s caused by more dynamics than just rust.  

Edited by idosubaru

The 90s Legacy and Imprezas had a fill panel that was on the exterior side of the shock tower. (Non structural) It rusted out faster than anything else, letting water in and rotting the quarter panel. But still not sure how much a liner can protect the shock tower. It's just sad to see this damage on nearly every NORTHERN Suby, yet the southern ones are perfect. (Like mine) :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...