Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 Brat (4 headlights)

There don't seem to be many different dimension lights in these quad light setups.

I used Toyota land cruiser as a fitment comparo -successfully but in LED

I think if you for anything off normal for the inner high beams you may need to rejig wiring as I found simply plugging up to a bulb style insert provided an earthing that caused high beam in all four all the time lights are on

I would think twice about the wattage - Normal & legal would be 55/60.  BUT the bigger problem - the wiring will not be happy with double the stock power.  As far as will they fit, mine were round.  But those styles were pretty standard, so they should fit in the mounts.  Back when that car was new, there were 3 kinds of headlights, big round, usually 2 on a car.  4 small round or 4 small square.  There were stock sealed beam type, and the H4 replaceable bulb ones.

Back when I had a 4 light 1978 wagon, I made up a system using H4 lights for it.  I modified the mounts, and installed 4 hi / lo lenses.  Made up a wiring harness and relay box and a control panel.  I could select normal mode [2 low beams/4 high beams] double low beams, lo + hi, and ALL of them, for a total of 460Watts.  That was daylight.  I could choose what was low on the stalk, and what was high.  I also had a pair of real 55W QH fog lights on that car, and a real stereo, before boom cars were common.   But I also had to build an external rectifier box for the alternator, as the internal rectifiers died.  When I realized the current draw, I knew a new alternator wouldn't last long either.  Way more draw than it could cough up.  

The existing wires and switches will be slightly over design with the 55/60 watt bulbs, but likely survive.

I have not looked at the detail of the kits, thought you might do that, processing others input

Comment on load on wiring could've sorted by wiring in new relays and wires to get power from battery direct to new relays, reducing original lighting circuit and switches to just switching new relays.

There are kits as in a new wiring loom available mainly for LED installs that need positive switching.

This would fix problems I had with the inners beinghighbeam only, negative switching