Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hunting around for source of oil leak on the top passenger side of my 05 Outback 2.5 non turbo auto and came across this little hard plastic ?cover plate wedged in towards the rear/side of the engine.

it's tight and dark down there and can't figure out where it originated or if it is even necessary.

going to hunt up a mirror to try and see a home for this plate.

can only upload 2 mb so I will post again with the other view.

FJIMG_20200207_212912.jpg

Edited by brus brother

yup, access  cover to the torque converter bolts. Located below the throttle body to the passenger side. 

don't know how it came out since it doesn't appear I will be able to reinsert it without removing the throttle body.

I am determined to now drive this car till the wheels fall off as at 200K miles it has too many issues.

Every time I touch an electrical connector I am afraid that something will break due to age and brittleness.

If I remove the throttle body, do I need to replace that gasket and/or use any sealant when reattaching?

Is there any hazard in leaving the cover safely stored in the glove box?

Edited by brus brother

26 minutes ago, brus brother said:

Is there any hazard in leaving the cover safely stored in the glove box?

I throw it in the box of spare parts.

On our 95 and 97 RHD 2.2s they are hard as a rock and the tab that holds it in place breaks off. I can remember when they were pliable and would snap into place. Our 95 has 472k miles on it and that cover has been off since around 120k.

31 minutes ago, brus brother said:

If I remove the throttle body, do I need to replace that gasket and/or use any sealant when reattaching?

I wouldn't bother. If you want to go through the trouble, then use Permatex Hi tack in the can with a brush on the lid. It won't leak and it takes forever to get hard.

done

wasted way too much time trying to fiddle around and wiggle that cover into place.

removed throttle body and 2 minutes later twas done. managed not to break any connectors.

but my oh my is that throttle body in need of some love. 

suggest seafoam treatment? or some other voodoo?

I use this for cleaning a lot of stuff, even paint overspray from my fingers. I buy it by the case. If the fuel pump quits, have someone spray it into the intake and you can drive the car into the garage.

BERKEBILE 2+2® Instant Gum Cutter  Cleans Automatic Chokes, Carburetors, Choke Linkages, and PCV Valves & Hoses! Removes Varnish, Gum, & other Deposits Instantly!

Edited by Rampage

So this all started hunting down oil collecting in the recesses on the top of the engine passenger side.

Initially thought it was PS fluid as reservoir was dropping regularly. Changed PS pump so no more pink fluid but now just good ole crude.

Doesn't appear to be the oil pressure sensor beneath the alternator. Leak is further posterior.

Is it possible/usual that HGs will leak to the top?