Ultimate Subaru Message Board

R I P Lil Red - got rear ended Tuesday

I was on my way home from work last Tuesday night and got rear ended - HARD. I blacked out on impact and woke up across 2 lanes and stopped on a side street. The other driver took off so it's a hit and run. I ended up with a concussion and contusions across my chest from the seat belt. My head hit the roof really hard. My seat broke and it buckled all of the doors shut. I had to kick my way out of the drivers door.

p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

But I walked away...

Front and rear cameras are starting to sound appealing.

You got hit Tuesday and it is now Sunday. Did you take five days to wake up and walk away? Maybe you hit your head harder than you thought.

Was it a factory seat that broke up or a modified option?

And glad you are OK. Slightly broken hearted though I bet

I need to recover lots of parts before scrapping the shell. The engine only has about 5000 miles on it since a complete rebuild, the D/R 5mt has new synchros and seals. All the struts and 4 wheel disc brakes are new too. I am still deciding on how to get rid of it once I strip it. I am not sure if I can have the shell hauled away with no wheels on it or if I have to cut it up in sections.

Edited by Crazyeights

Yes there were witnesses. One of them went chasing after them but couldn't get a plate. The police have a pretty good description but I don't hold out much hope for that. The other car was so smashed the airbags deployed and smoke was pouring out. No one could believe they were able to drive away like that. They couldn't have made it very far.

On 2/9/2020 at 12:26 PM, Crazyeights said:

Yes there were witnesses. One of them went chasing after them but couldn't get a plate. The police have a pretty good description but I don't hold out much hope for that. The other car was so smashed the airbags deployed and smoke was pouring out. No one could believe they were able to drive away like that. They couldn't have made it very far.

I hope you end up getting some financial compensation. And I hope the h & r driver gets some severe consequences. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/9/2020 at 11:38 AM, Crazyeights said:

I need to recover lots of parts before scrapping the shell. The engine only has about 5000 miles on it since a complete rebuild, the D/R 5mt has new synchros and seals. All the struts and 4 wheel disc brakes are new too. I am still deciding on how to get rid of it once I strip it. I am not sure if I can have the shell hauled away with no wheels on it or if I have to cut it up in sections.

Glad that you're OK. But to have to strip & cut up your car is heartache.

Had to strip & cut up a 51 Chevy PU years ago after some SOB caused me to roll over 3 times. Also a H&R incident but no witnesses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, czny said:

Glad that you're OK. But to have to strip & cut up your car is heartache.

Had to strip & cut up a 51 Chevy PU years ago after some SOB caused me to roll over 3 times. Also a H&R incident but no witnesses.

Are you ok? I hope that you didn't end up with any serious long lasting injuries. I spent most of the next day in the ER. I had a CT scan of my head, Ultrasound of my chest area, and lots of X-Rays. So far so good. It's been a week now and the terrible headaches are finally starting to go away but my lower back still hurts a lot. So far this has cost me a car - didn't carry collision on it - $437.00 for a tow back to my house, and 3 days off of work. To top it off they pushed me into a Tesla of all things :eek:

As far as cutting it up I am ok with that. I don't want all of those parts to end up at P-N-P. Mechanically the whole car was finished - rebuilt. I only needed to finish the body work. I am still lucky enough to have an '89 GL-10 EA82T - 4EAT wagon and I really like it. They better not kill that one too :mad: I still get a little spooked on that road each night on my way home from work.

8 hours ago, Crazyeights said:

Actually it will end up costing me. So far it I figure it has cost me $1000.00 plus the value of the car - which we know isn't much :o

A guy I worked with had his worthless 80's Volkswagen totaled by someone else.  He had rebuilt everything in it.  He said since it wasn't his fault, he was going to get all the value out of that car and enough money to rebuild another one.  He of course had to rebuff the $800 offer to total it.  He told the insurance all his work, documented what he could, and told them he expected to get back what he had in it.  And they reimbursed him significantly.  

I've done the same thing a few times, once for myself, and a couple times helping out friends.  If you can talk to an adjuster in person and actually point things out and show them - so they know you're not BSing, they've been very helpful in my 3 cases.  You do have to get through the initial work of convincing them you actually did a lot of work to this car, above and beyond just repairs and inspection costs and break downs - I'm sure they hear that all the time, so don't just expect them to believe or trust that what you say is above and beyond everyone else they talk to.  Once they realize you're not average Joe, they've been really helpful to me.  and I think avoiding a lawyer (which I've always done) is helpful too.  But none of those incidents involved medical issues, so that simplified things.

I'm sure I got lucky with the company and person I talked with to some extent. But try to get face to face and point out and show you're not like everyone else just trying for a money grab and maybe you'll get lucky.  I've always had it in mind that if they tried to not play nice, I may have to drop hints that I might have to escalate or get some help settling this (lawyer hints), but I've never needed to do that.  They let me keep my totaled XT6, without totaling it so i didn't have to juggle the title/DMV reinspection, and also cut me a sizable check for far more than the "total" value, when a lady hit me.  They're generally limited to totaling a car, or not, but they have ways of going above and beyond that if it's in their best interests which I would guess it is if we're avoiding a lawyer.  

• Like 1

I have full coverage ins. on my Sube., bundled with my other car and homeowner's ins. Not that the ins. co. will know how to figure out the value. But it is stock and there must be a way to determine value on vintage collectible cars somehow. I'd like to keep the Sube intact for selling purpose when I eventually have to give up driving.

17 hours ago, Crazyeights said:

Are you ok? I hope that you didn't end up with any serious long lasting injuries. I spent most of the next day in the ER. I had a CT scan of my head, Ultrasound of my chest area, and lots of X-Rays. So far so good. It's been a week now and the terrible headaches are finally starting to go away but my lower back still hurts a lot. So far this has cost me a car - didn't carry collision on it - $437.00 for a tow back to my house, and 3 days off of work. To top it off they pushed me into a Tesla of all things :eek:

As far as cutting it up I am ok with that. I don't want all of those parts to end up at P-N-P. Mechanically the whole car was finished - rebuilt. I only needed to finish the body work. I am still lucky enough to have an '89 GL-10 EA82T - 4EAT wagon and I really like it. They better not kill that one too :mad: I still get a little spooked on that road each night on my way home from work.

If you get a camera get one that records audio for the awsh*t comments you're likely to make in case of another "incident". But seriously, recording some jerk cutting in & out of traffic that causes an accident is worthwhile for your own peace of mind if the unwanted happens.

After rolling with the cab 3 times hugging the bench seat(saw the moon thru windshield twice), getting beaten up by a cross wrench, loaded tool box & a steel flashlight, thrown 15ft in the air then landing on my knees & elbows on road straddling the double yellow. I was barely able to get up. 3 cracked ribs, a soccer ball sized bone bruise on my right thigh, concussion, dislocated ankles, knees & elbows. I hurt for 2 months. I can still osteo-rotate my elbows to pop them. Happened in 1983 but now its becoming harder to differentiate old age from injury. Ha ha ha. ;)

It is weird how much detail you can recall in the time dilation unreality of an accident, even after years have passed.

I am an ASE Master tech with 35+ years of experience. I did all of the work to this car myself. This car was a years’ long project.  Here is some of what’s been done to it off the top of my head.

The engine,

The engine case was stripped all the way down to the bare block halves. The cylinders were honed by a machine shop on a $40,000 Sunnen machine. The decks on the block were surfaced (about 5 thousands was removed) to ensure a perfect head gasket seal. The crankshaft was polished and checked. New main and rod bearings were fitted. All four pistons are new ITM parts and the rings were replaced as well. The front and rear main seals were replaced along with the oil pump. I used Fel-Pro gaskets throughout. The cooling system hoses were all replaced with the engine. The thermostat is a new dealer part. Both cylinder heads were stripped all the way down. They were pressure tested and surfaced. The valves were hand lapped in and new valve stem seals were installed. The camshafts are stock. They were polished and reused. The timing components, both belts, tensioner, and idlers were replaced along with a new water pump.

The transmission,

It is a 5 speed dual range (High-Low) from a 1988 GL Wagon with new dealer synchros for 1st and 2nd gears. I replaced every external seal with dealer parts. The clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, and retaining clips were replaced as well. The flywheel was machined at that time.

The suspension and brakes,

It has new front and rear struts as of last year. Both front drive axles have been replaced. The front brake calipers and pads are new as of late last year and I machined the front and rear rotors myself. The parking brake works great. I rebuilt the rear calipers myself with seal kits from the dealer. I used Wagner brake pads on the front and rear.  The rear disc brake conversion is from a 1989 GL-10 turbo Wagon.

I am sure I am forgetting some things but you get the idea. I built this car for myself to last for years. Everything was done right. It was my daily driver until someone rear ended me.

p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

More to come...

Edited by Crazyeights

1 hour ago, 88SubGL said:

I wish I could see the pictures of the car. In North Carolina we are required to carry uninsured/underinsured insurance on our cars, don’t know about your state. If it does, I would think it would cover a situation like this. 

That is exactly what my insurance agent is trying to work with, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...