Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Loyale Clutch 4WD ?? =(

I have a 91 Loyale with over 260k miles on it.

About 5 or 6 years ago, I put in a new clutch and fly wheel.

Last year, my car was stolen and was recovered about 6 weeks later. I still haven't figured out how they got the car to start. The dash wasn't ripped up, doesn't look hot wired. I have my keys. When I got the car back, the dashboard 4WD light was engaged and never turned off. It didn't drive like the 4WD was engaged but would make a knocking sound with the front axle at times.

This past weekend, my clutch went out and the shop says it'll be like $900 to replace.

Is there a logical reason for my clutch to go out so fast? Could it be related to how the car was stolen? I super weirded out with the idea of dropping nearly $1k to replace a clutch when it's gonna go out again because of some underlying cause.

Anyone have any thoughts on what to consider or suggest to the mechanic?
I'm a bit confused and lost and bummed.

I love this car...

It could just be 5 or 6 years of wear and tear on the clutch. The 4wd light being on is definitely worth investigating as these weren't designed to be run in 4wd on pavement, etc. Only in slippery conditions such as wet grass, loose dirt, mud, snow. I am curious why it will cost so much? You can get the clutch kit for these relatively cheap and installing them is a breeze, although in my experience its alot easier to pull the engine out than to pull the transmission. If you have access to a lift or other means to lift all 4 wheels off the ground safely, I would verify that it isn't running in 4wd first by raising all wheels off the ground and putting it in gear to see if the rear wheels turn along with the front. 

I reckon the thieves may have practiced/learned how to drive a manual in your Subi. That or they just don’t know how to and rode the clutch hard. 

The 4wd/clicking issue. If it’s actually in 4wd there could be an issue with a front driveshaft - possibly a broken CV joint that won’t transfer power to the wheel, selecting 4wd allows the vehicle to be driven, effectively in rear wheel drive. 

$1000 sounds about right for parts and labour with a clutch replacement. 

DIY would drop this to about $300 in parts I reckon. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

How was wear on tyres before and after? Rubber or mud build up inside the wheel tubs from abusive driving?

The keys of other same era sometimes fit and work in these old locks, so they may not have left any clue.

An extra visible steering wheel lock is my added deterrent to joy riders

Edited by Steptoe

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Club-Pedal-To-Steering-Wheel-Lock-Vehicle-Anti-Theft-Device-Fits-Most-Cars/352756509344?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And/or this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Club-3000-Twin-Hooks-Steering-Wheel-Lock-Yellow/153791200705?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

2 hours ago, Steptoe said:

An extra visible steering wheel lock is my added deterrent to joy riders

Some thieves find spare keys at PNP yards.

I've overheard some hunting for keys at a So Cal PNP, shouting to each other when they found keys.

Remarkable....pun intended.

• Haha 1

The car was found abandoned and had obviously been lived in for a bit with an empty gas tank. I feel like the person drove it until out of gas, lived in it a bit, and then left it. Maybe they had a similar key; I definitely wouldn't be too shocked but still feels oddly random.

As for the tires/wear, nothing I noticed to be off. Car has 260k+ miles on it and has been well... used. I bought a couple of new tires within the past two years too and seem about right. I only drive about 300 miles per month on average and ~20,000 miles feels like spoob mileage for the clutch but I guess it's not unheard of. The clutch was always a bit loose feeling, even after being replaced.

17 hours ago, gizmonix said:

okay. I definitely did the fly wheel but not sure about the clutch cable. thanks for the tip! (I'm severely ignorant with many car things)

Don’t worry, I change my clutch cable when they break. Not always convenient but I get the most out of them that way :P 

Cheers 

Bennie