Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What seats interchange with 2005 Impreza?

The seats in my 2005 Outback Sport wagon have seen better days. Interested in swapping both front and rear seats from another Subaru wagon but curious what would interchange with little modification.

Im guessing no issues with seats from any 2002- 2007 Impreza or WRX wagon.

Would seats from 2nd gen Legacy or Outback fit?
Also curious what generation Forester seats might fit.

Fronts almost any seat will fit.  Yards are not selling seats with airbags, at least in CO.  If you find a good seat with an airbag, remove all the tags and wiring and then they should sell it to you.

Rears will have to be from an Impreza platform.

Forester seats are about an inch higher off the floor.

You may have to swap over the seatbelt latch from your old seat.

Edited by lmdew

9 hours ago, lmdew said:

Fronts almost any seat will fit.  Yards are not selling seats with airbags, at least in CO.  If you find a good seat with an airbag, remove all the tags and wiring and then they should sell it to you.

Rears will have to be from an Impreza platform.

Forester seats are about an inch higher off the floor.

You may have to swap over the seatbelt latch from your old seat.

If Foroester sears will bolt in, or bolt up to my Impreza risks I wouldn’t mind them. I really like the seats in my 2003 Forester but I believe all of them have airbags and I don’t want to mess with that since my car doesn’t have side airbags.

over at the 2nd gen Legacy forums I’ve read that WRX (aka 2nd gen Impreza) wagon seats will fit both front and back into 2nd gen Legacy’s, do Om wondering if they will swap in the other direction.

What I know 1st hand - this applies to US and Canadian models only and only the front seats:

All Legacy (Brighton, L, LS, LSi, GT, SUS) and Outback (Limited, H6, LL Bean, etc.) seats from '90-'04 will interchange as will the '92-'07 Impreza/WRX/Sti and '98-'08 Forester. These will all interchange - bolt-up - between models. You may need to use your existing seat belt buckles. See below for caveats.

I put '00 Legacy OB seats in my '96 Legacy L. - Bolted up, moved over the seat belt, and found a 12v under the seat as the '00 seats were power. Great upgrade, IMHO.

I put '04 WRX seats in my '04 Forester - same fit and airbag connectors. I only did this as the stock were leather, and slippery as heck; the WRX were much more supportive.

I put '02 WRX seats in my '93 Legacy (common upgrade) - but they sit too high, IMHO. I could adjust the driver's height to an acceptable level, but the passenger was not adjustable. They bolted in just fine.

Some models had more/extra bolts on the inside  of the seat frames - by the center console, but the 'feet' were all the same, if I remember correctly.

I tried to put '08 Legacy GT seats into a '93 Legacy and they will NOT fit. Bolt holes don't line up. So, '05+ Legacy/OB won't fit older stuff.

Thank you for the input. Sounds like front seats are no issue but the rear seat is more tricky. The question is will an older Impreza rear wagon seat fit? (I see seats from a ‘99 Impreza for sale locally).

Also wondering if anyone has put a 1st or 2nd gen Legacy rear wagon seats in a 2nd gen Impreza wagon

Edited by Stevo F

I can get a free set of front and rear seats from a ‘99 Impreza. Other than possible bracket and height differences between the 2 generations, I’m concerned about that SRS airbag system connector for the drivers seat being different. If I swap the seatbelt latch from the 2005 seat to the older seat, does the SRS wiring go with it?

I don’t want to bother with these seats if there are found to be SRS issues