Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88' EA82 Transmission Compatible With 83' Ea81??

Hello, I Had Finally Worked Out All The Bugs With My 83' Subaru GL Wagon, D/R 4x4. - Previous Posting About It Falling On Its Face...

The Other Day, Was Driving It And It Was Acting, As It Was Before, When My Fuel Filters Were Clogged. In Turn, I Was Heading To Get New Ones. I Had Turned Around, Headed Back Home. While Depressing My Clutch Pedal, I Heard A "Pop" Sound. Figured It Was My Cable.

Inspecting Cable All Good, Minus The Slight Fraying Right At The Pedal. Checked Hill Holder Cable, Fine Too. - I Had Partial Clutch. Went into Gears, To Then Grinding Into Gears, To 1500' From My Driveway, At A 4-Way Intersection, No Gears At All. Whether The Car Is Running, Or Not, I Can't Get It Into Either 4-Gears, Or Reverse. 

I Am Leaving Tomorrow Morning, Moving To Oregon. Have To Leave Subi Behind. Just So Happens An, 88' Transmission Dual-Range For Sale Near By, $150 obo. -- Is It Compatible With My 83'? CV-Shafts, Bellhousing, Clutch, Etc.? Can I Just Drop Mine, Install This One No Modding?

Thanks For Any/All Input!

Will definitely need mods to fit: 

- new tailshaft or use the ‘88 unit with the centre bearing mounted to the floor somehow. 

- if the output stubs are 23 spline count, this will use the factory shafts on your EA81 vehicle. 

- flywheel needs machining to change the height of the step, this gives the correct space to clamp the clutch disc. Use the EA82 clutch pressure plate, throw out bearing and clutch fork. 

- shifter linkages: can fit the EA82 units with the matching console, OR use the gear lever from the EA82, and mod the EA81 4wd lever to mate to the EA82 gear under the car. This retains the stock interior. 

Do a search on here. Plenty of threads about it. There are several ways to do the gearbox mounts from what I’ve read ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

PS pls use capital letters only at the start of sentences, and for names etc. It will make it easier to read your posts ;)