Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Our 99 Legacy wagon needs a new gas filler tube.  The original Subaru part comes with just that main filler tube and nothing else.  Some of the aftermarket ones come with one or more small tubes attached to the side.   My inclination is to buy the OEM one.  If I do that, is it likely that I will need to buy other stuff also?  Maybe stuff up at the top also? 

I'd appreciate any comments from people who have actually done this job.

Your best option is to remove the plastic cover and do a good inspection.  

I may have a good rust free CO tube for you.  The ones I have just have the single 1/2 dia tube coming off the top.

PM your email and I can send you a pic.

There are still new ones available. It’s a common problem. Most cars in the northeast 95-99 especially , will get rusted out at the bend where sand collects on top. And that plastic cover works against you if you don’t spray under it often. Too late now. 

There’s a new one hanging in my storage. If you can’t find one send me a PM here. Not really anxious to let mine go yet.

21 hours ago, LeolaPA said:

Our 99 Legacy wagon needs a new gas filler tube.  The original Subaru part comes with just that main filler tube and nothing else.  Some of the aftermarket ones come with one or more small tubes attached to the side.   My inclination is to buy the OEM one.  If I do that, is it likely that I will need to buy other stuff also?  Maybe stuff up at the top also? 

I'd appreciate any comments from people who have actually done this job.

For late 90s fuel filler necks it’s best to look at what you have and verify what you need.  For a variety of reasons not worth explaining it’s easy to get the wrong fuel filler tube in late 90s stuff. The necks are all basically the same but vary in how many of those small tubes they have.  

Imdew is incredibly kind - if he’s offering, that’s your best bet as you’ll want to check yours no matter which way you decide. On those 90s necks I’d want to know what I have first, even if ordering from Subaru with the VIN. 

Thanks to all who responded to my post.  My daughter drives this car, and she is an hour from where I live, but the next time she's here I'll take the plastic cover off to see exactly what is going on in there.  On this car the tube is rusted at the top so it is  loose right up in the filler area.  I had used some urethane calking to try to temporarily hold it together a while back. 

I'm hoping that the metal the tube attaches to is not rusted out, so that I can bolt in the new one. 

The car, by the way is a 99 Legacy 30th Anniversary model with 2.2.  It's not an Outback.  The parts sites spec that the one I need is the one that the part number ends in 150. 

I have “131” , sorry. 

This is an older part number and may have superseded.

Mine is 12003AA131 

Still has its part tag and the order tag with my name on it from the dealer. 

It has one tube at the top. Tried to add a pic but no go. 

I have one in my watch list on Ebay 42066AC150.  I still didn't see the car yet to look at the area.  Since my daughter uses the car, I was hoping to have her mechanic replace it,  but having to take the cover off is half the work of doing the job myself.  May see her next weekend.  I'll poke around and see what I can see.

Do you people buy the big hose at the end from Subaru, or use something generic? 

The big hose going to the tank will be fine.  You may need a new clamp on it.  

Use some WD-40 or something like it to lube the hose before you pull the old fill tube off and when you put the new one in.  It can be a bugger.

Go to your local dealership and have the parts guys put together a quote for you (even if you don't buy from them, although the kind thing to do would be to buy something there for their time). They'll likely have a good idea of what's typically done. When I worked there, we saw them often, and kept the tube in stock. My concern with the aftermarket, is of all the times I looked them up, I never noticed a pattern. There were like 4 different part numbers, and didn't seem to be any consistency on what fit what.

At the very least, you'll want the gasket and 3 screws up at the top. IIRC, the other hoses and stuff were on a case-by-case basis. I know I didn't replace anything else on my '97 when I did it.

Thanks.  I got the car home yesterday and took the plastic cover off today.  The part looks to be the one that ends in 150, so I just ordered an OEM one that was on Ebay for about $63 plus tax.  These days if you look at something on Ebay, likely you might get an offer in a day or two, and that's what happened on this.   

The filler pipe was half gone a couple inches below the little flap for maybe 5 inches.  So I guess the filler nozzle was long enough that the gas was getting into the pipe beyond that hole.

Numbchux  it looks from diagrams that I will need the gasket.  Not sure what else.  There's a part bolted on up near the top that 2 hoses attach to .  Not sure of the purpose but I'm hoping the part the hoses attach to is still OK.

7 hours ago, LeolaPA said:

Thanks.  I got the car home yesterday and took the plastic cover off today.  The part looks to be the one that ends in 150, so I just ordered an OEM one that was on Ebay for about $63 plus tax.  These days if you look at something on Ebay, likely you might get an offer in a day or two, and that's what happened on this.   

The filler pipe was half gone a couple inches below the little flap for maybe 5 inches.  So I guess the filler nozzle was long enough that the gas was getting into the pipe beyond that hole.

Numbchux  it looks from diagrams that I will need the gasket.  Not sure what else.  There's a part bolted on up near the top that 2 hoses attach to .  Not sure of the purpose but I'm hoping the part the hoses attach to is still OK.

Exactly the right thing to be looking at - usually won’t know if it’s usable until you get in there.  I think that’s EVAP type capture stuff. Not critical but you don’t want it open either.  

ive probably replaced one of those pieces but don’t recall, usually didn’t need to but we wouldn’t be surprised to see one that needs it and I’ve generally tried to avoid rusty subarus for 5 or more years now so I’m sure they’re getting worse overall.  

You can have a sheet of gasket material on hand and cut your own if needed. Or yeah I’d just have the OEM one on hand.  It may be reusable, its a vapor barrier more than sitting in fluids but at this age and rust it probably makes sense to have a plan for replacement.

It can seem like it’s the wrong part on some models, but get the right angle where the top sits in the body and bottom goes in the hose and it sets in place just right. 

Edited by idosubaru

IdoSubaru and Heartless attached is a picture I took yesterday.  Not sure how we've been getting gas into this car.  Also you see the urethane caulk I put in there last year to hold the whole thing together.  What a mess I made.  But there was no time that day to fix the problem.

Heartless attached is a screen shot of the part I ordered.  I've done about 1,000 transactions on Ebay, so I'm pretty sure I'm OK with this.  I DID order a solenoid and a new hose from this neck to the tank on Rockauto today.

I did not know what the rusty box in the photo was, but apparently it is a SOLENOID and I'm sure ours is totally useless, so I ordered that. 

This job is sure complicated.... I likely will be getting parts by the weekend.

neck part.JPG

P1020127.JPG

holy cow is that bad! :blink:

I don't think I have ever seen one quite that bad, geez.. yeah, it is a wonder you were getting gas into the tank at all!

genuine Subaru part, should be ok.. just make sure it has that same sticker when it arrives at your door. same scratches & everything.

and yeah, that solenoid will definitely be toast, so good idea to order one of those as well.

Good luck getting the old one off, at the very least you will probably need new screws (there are 3 that hold everything at the filler door)

I ordered a replacement neck for my 02 Forester from Rockauto not too long ago, and the one I got came with the solenoid, outer plate, rubber gasket and new screws. I did have to tweak the lower part of the tube just a little to get it to fit properly, but for an aftermarket piece it was not bad, and solved my problems with not being able to fill properly.

When I took the plastic cover off, a couple pounds of gravel fell out.  So no doubt that contributed to how this rusted out.

Heartless, good thought about the scratches on the sticker, etc. 

I bought the solenoid but I'm a bit puzzled by that name.  I think of a solenoid as electrically operated and I don't see that this has any electrical power going to it.  I wonder if this is just a mechanical valve that opens or closes when the gas nozzle enters?  I guess I will see better when my part arrives.

By the way, there is an absolutely beautiful filler neck with all the parts (used) on Ebay for a Forrester.  Too bad it didn't fit my application.

7 hours ago, LeolaPA said:

By the way, there is an absolutely beautiful filler neck with all the parts (used) on Ebay for a Forrester.  Too bad it didn't fit my application.

i got disgusted with ebay years ago.. walked away and never looked back, and it has just gotten worse & worse since.. i don't buy anything there if I can help it. Sure, i might pay a little more, but buying from trusted sources is worth it to me. I buy it once, and done - not buying the super cheap, finding out it is junk, and having to buy again. I don't have time for that game.

there has been a lot of "fake" stuff showing up there recently (as in the last year, maybe two) - do a quick search on the subject - fake batteries (the 18650 type), fake spark plugs (there is a thread here about that) and other items, too. If the price is "too good to be true" it probably is a fake.

4 minutes ago, lmdew said:

I take a 1" step drill and drill a series of holes in the plastic guard so the rocks, dirt... can drop out.  Others leave it off completely.

leaving it off is easiest. I live on a gravel road, so lots of dust, gravel, etc. - have no desire to put the thing back on and cause more problems later.

Yes, that is just a check valve, it can clog and cause the gas pump to shut off immediately.

On the cars with that, we always sold the nuts, too, as the studs usually twist off with them in the old one.

On 3/16/2020 at 10:13 PM, LeolaPA said:

The part looks to be the one that ends in 150, so I just ordered an OEM one

Did you ever actually run your VIN on a parts lookup site (parts.subaru.com or partsouq.com both have VIN-specific lookups)? I'd highly reccomend doing that to make sure you've got the right one.

30 minutes ago, Numbchux said:

Did you ever actually run your VIN on a parts lookup site (parts.subaru.com or partsouq.com both have VIN-specific lookups)? I'd highly reccomend doing that to make sure you've got the right one.

I checked by year and model, but just to be responsive to this question I checked by VIN today and it's the right one.  42066AC150